ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Spinal Roundtable

Spinal Roundtable Discuss exercises for tight hip flexors in the General Discussion forums; Hi all, I just got back from massage and therapist concludes: 1)right hip flexors extremely tight w/very limited external rotation ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Hi all, I just got back from massage and therapist concludes: 1)right hip flexors extremely tight w/very limited external rotation 2)very tight tensor fascia latae 3)tight QL bilaterally, tighter on right with 1 1/2 inch length discrepancy and 4) of course, right IT band very tight. My trochanter is just jammed up into my hip socket. Can anyone direct me to best exercises for this with pictures? a site? (I forgot to ask her) I also think I am going to go once a week for next three weeks (before surgery) for massage to try and loosen this all up. What came first? The back or the hip? Who knows! Thanks everyone.
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:10 PM

cindy
did dr. bertagnoli or dr. fenk-mayer suggest doing this before surgery?
if they didnt i would not worry about it untill they get done fixing you.
just my 2 cents for what its worth
chuck
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Good news Chuck. I won't bother then. Thanks.
Cindy
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:49 PM

Hi CindyLou:

Just an update. 1st bicycle ride of the season today. Wind blowing off of the ice on Little Traverse Bay of Lake Michigan and 45-55 degrees. Did 25 miles with good hills. A little out of shape from relaxing and healing after the surgery. I am 4 months out and still have some pain in what feels like the facet joints in the lower spine where my surgery was. The neck was sore from the usual road bike position of riding with my neck bent. I am pleased but tight in the same areas you mentioned. Oh well at least the ride was nice and I realize I still have work ahead of me.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 03-24-2007, 07:42 PM

Terry, Sounds like you are off to a good start with a 25 mile bike ride. Do you experience the same level of distraction pain in your neck as your lumbar? It seems like I read in the forums of faster recoveries from the cervical adr, maybe not. I was originally contemplating doing both my neck and back at the same time, but since I need 3 levels on my back, I thought it best to wait. Besides, this lumbar surgery, like many others, is coming out of my pocket if insurance does not reimburse me. I am going to get some kind of injection next week in my neck, to give me some relief before I get on an 8 hour plane ride. I look forward to getting on a bicycle again myself...maybe late summer I'll be ready. I have a recumbent bike, which I like because it's a bit easier on the neck and back. OK: How long did you wear a back brace? Is there reliable medication to deal with the distraction pain? Is the back brace cumbersome? Are sweats and elastic waist band pants the only realistic clothes to pack for after surgery? Or can you still wear regular jeans with brace on outside? This is your life interview! Enjoy that biking. Cindy
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 03-25-2007, 04:45 AM

cindy
lumbar surgery is a much longer recovery then the neck due to the fact on the approach from the front. yes i suppose its easier then a fusion. but please done expect a walk in the park. as from my recovery which is still going 7 months later. the best best way to describe the recovery is a long roller coaster ride with many ups and downs.
hopefully with your 3 levels your are not missing alot of disc space. because thats alot of stretching of the spinal cord. the good news is you will receive the very best care with pro-spine staff and the hospital staff over there are nothing but amazing. and dr. bertagnoli is one of the worlds best spine surgeons. so have no worries about all that stuff. everyone we came across in germany were awesome and were all very helpfull.
everyone here will be pulling for you!!
chuck
p/s sweats you will prefer also take some t shirts cotton to wear under your brace. you find much easier to deal with. you will be asked to wear the brace for at least 12 weeks mind you the brace is soft type so it only keeps you from doing dumb moves.
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 AM

CindyLou:

I did do the lumbar and cervical at the same time. Like Chasswen said he is still going through recovery at 7 months, I am still going through the roller coaster ride at 4 1/2 months.

I wear brace shorts to this day to hold the lumbar area together; www.thesaundersgroup.com. This brace system looks like bike shorts with stays in the lumbar area to hold the spine together. A brace is not cumbersome and I was able to wear my surgical assigned one under my sweat shirt, others wore it on top of their shirt (a true fashion statement!). Bicycling, I just use the sexy black lycra shorts, used by yours truly since the early 80's.

The cervical area has healed nicely the lumbar is still resolving. The neck was a little sore yesterday from the position while riding. I ride a Colnago C 40 carbon fiber racing bike. Not that an old man like me races but I can dream. This $6,000 racing machine was the one that the dog came out of no where, charged my bike, ran in to the front wheel, causing me to catapult, with the bicycle still attached to me, end over end, shattering my clavicle and collapsing my spine. Definetely not an accident for the faint of heart. That happened Fall of 04.

As far as the distraction pain I still use Lyrica 400 Mg per day. If you do decide on this medication, which I believe works better than Neurontin, it has a weaning off protocol that you need to be aware of. Not that this will matter since you will probably need to be on it for a period of time. I think it does wonders for the distraction pain.

My belief for the double surgery was; "God I do not want to go through this again". Hence the double surgery. Also, not for the faint of heart. Not recommended for all and Thank God I was in such good shape pre-surgery. It has made the difference in the world for my continuing recovery.

There's my Life Answers and I'm stickin' to em. Good-Luck.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5