ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Spinal Roundtable

Spinal Roundtable Discuss Having SI Joint fusion surgery instead of Total Hip Replacement... in the General Discussion forums; Hi all, After much thought and consideration, I have decided to go with SI Joint Fusion, with a guru surgeon ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Having SI Joint fusion surgery instead of Total Hip Replacement...

Hi all,

After much thought and consideration, I have decided to go with SI Joint Fusion, with a guru surgeon who specializes in this specific surgery, instead of Total Hip Replacement. Not to say I may not need this THR down the road, but this doctor is convinced (after viewing my latest Cat Scan and a thorough physical exam) that most of my pain is generating from my SI Joints. I meet with him again next Thursday for further evaluation, and my surgery is scheduled for Monday, March 9th, in St. Paul, MN. It is much less invasive than a THR, so it makes sense to go with this surgery first, especially, if it offers me total relief. So, I am praying that this surgery delivers me from pain, a good share of it, anyway. I hate to hope for the moon. i will keep you posted along the way.........

Cindylou
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Cindylou

That's great news indeed and I hope this surgery does relieve your pain and you never need the hip replacement. You have been through more than your share and deserve success. You've a wonderful positive outlook which makes all the difference. I'll be thinking of you and look forward to you post op story.

Much love

Lynda

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM

hi cindylou,

i'm so sorry you're facing more surgery!

i have lots of questions/concerns... it sounds like you've thought this through so feel free to disregard this.

Does your SI doc think the fusion will help you b/c your SI joints are arthritic or b/c they are too loose (hypermobile)? i know you want to get back to an active lifestyle -- does he think that will be possible w/a SIJ fusion next to your L6-S1 fusion? i'd just be concerned about losing more mobility in your sacrum/pelvis and where is that stress going to be transfered? did you run the SIJ fusion past your ortho that did your fusion or past the hip doc? Is it possible that your SI joints are still adapting to the stress from your fusion... it's been less than 7 months? Believe me, i understand wanting to get out of pain now, but just make sure this is right for you as you can't reverse it. Anyway, i hope the SI doc puts your mind at ease this week and i hope the surgery is a huge success! You deserve it. Stay positive and you'll get through this!

i have pain from my rt SIJ and i'm considering a RF ablation soon or just another injection and a SI belt afterwards for stabilization.

i'm sorry to throw this at you so close to surgery, but it's just out of concern. Make sure you've done your homework and then go w/whatever your gut tells you. That and a great surgeon!

best wishes,
Liz
2009 L4-5 Prodisc ADR removed and revised to XLIF w/posterior instrumentation
massive hemorrhage from tear of inferior vena cava at right iliac vein due to adhesion from Prodisc op
2010 not fused; as a result of complications permanent nerve damage to lumbar plexus causing severe rt leg, hip, groin pain
Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 PM

CindyLou,

I hope your procedure went well, and look forward to hearing the results. Good luck with your recovery.

-Dave
Intrepid Fusion L4-L5, 7/08
Increasing pain since solid fusing, 1/09
Bilateral Transforaminal Injections 3/09
Facet Joint Injections (L3-S1) 4/09
RF Ablation (Medial Branch) 5/09
CT Scan, MRI w/ contrast (no new info) 5/09
Latest:
- I wake up with no pain
- Stand/sit for 15 mins., pinching pain begins
- Pain at center, core L4-L5
- Lying down, pulsing/throbbing pain for 2-3 hours
- Taking 6 Norcos/day
Old 03-16-2009, 12:45 PM

Default Had my SI Joint Fusion Surgery...

Hi everyone,

I had my SI Joint Fusion Surgery on March 10th, so 6 days ago. It lasted about 1 1/2 hours. A little longer than normal, due to my arthritic changes there. I discharged on Friday, the 13th, and today is Monday the 16th. I think! So far, so good. I am using crutches (and a walker) for 6 weeks, while the fusion takes place. Then, after that time, I will start rehab. From the time I woke up from surgery, the nurses could not get over how well I was doing. Yes, I have pain, surgical pain. I am not aware of any of my other pain at this time. It's always a little tricky in the beginning, to separate the two. Of course, I am still on my pain med's, for the surgical pain, but all in all, I feel pretty decent. Sitting is the biggest challenge, as my doctor made me aware of before surgery. I seem most comfortable in our Relax The Back, zero gravity chair. Again, during PT and OT in the hospital, the therapists kept commenting on how well I was doing, which was very encouraging to me. I believe you can check out my Dr. by going to this link, backpainclinic.com. Let me know if it doesn't work, and I'll get back to you. This is all this doctor does, is SI Joint Fusion. A total speciality. Because there aren't many surgeons across the country that are versed in it. He is totally impressed with the hardware in my back, thanks to Dr. Bertagnoli. And fascinated by it all. And he believes my 3 artificial lumbar discs and vertibroplasty will serve me well, with this SI joint fusion. I will keep posting, by and by, to let you all know how I am coming along. Like I said earlier, so far, so good. I am praying this procedure will be my final one to deliver me from all my pain. And I am so encouraged, that at least right now, the only pain I am aware of, is surgical pain.

Cindylou
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default What a trooper!

CindyLou, thanks for posting and sharing yet another chapter in your difficult journey. I wanted to ask you a few question about your fusion, but it's probably not the best timing! I'll bug you in a few weeks, when you'll be doing jumping jacks...
Just kidding!

Peace and healing to you in the days ahead.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-19-2009, 11:06 PM

Thank-you Rich and Dave for the well-wishes. Today is day 9, post-op, and so far so good. The only pain I am experiencing is surgical pain. I am holding my breathe with great hope. Most of my time I spend sitting on an ice pack. A lovely visual, for sure. I get up with the walker or crutches just to keep the circulation going. Tonight, I shuffled over to my neighbor's across the street with my walker, because I was getting a tad batty. We enjoyed a glass of wine together and some catching up. Just what the doctor ordered. I have already cut back on my pain meds. Instead of 2 Oxycontin a day, I am already down to just 1. And instead of 2 Vicodin every 4-6 hours, I am taking 1 Vicodin every 5 hours. Again, holding my breathe, as I am a little shy of getting my expectations up too high. That's about it for now. Off to bed for me. I will post by and by through out this healing process, to keep everyone abreast of this latest saga for me. If you have an extra minute before you nod off to sleep, toss a few prayers my way, up to THE BIG GUY, for me. Thanks immensely,

Cindylou
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Default congrats!!!

hi cindylou,

i'm so glad the surgery appears successful!! surgical pain as you know too well will subside.

did you end up having both of your SIJs fused? how do your hips feel?

wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery!

take care,
Liz
2009 L4-5 Prodisc ADR removed and revised to XLIF w/posterior instrumentation
massive hemorrhage from tear of inferior vena cava at right iliac vein due to adhesion from Prodisc op
2010 not fused; as a result of complications permanent nerve damage to lumbar plexus causing severe rt leg, hip, groin pain
Old 03-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Liz, as usual you raise some interesting points. Cindy, what measures did your doctor(s) employ (if any) to diagnose the cause of the arthritic changes? Did they share any insights with you regarding the possible causes of these changes?

The info on Wiki is a nice reference for us laymen not familiarity with the complexity of the SI joint: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroiliac_joint

PS: What kind of wine did you have with your neighbor?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 PM

Cindylou,

Callabunga!!!!!!!

Heal well, praying for you.

Kimmers