ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Spinal Roundtable

Spinal Roundtable Discuss MRI Results in the General Discussion forums; I had a repeat MRI on yesterday to rule out S1 root compression. What I don't understand is this: "left ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 AM

I had a repeat MRI on yesterday to rule out S1 root compression. What I don't understand is this:

"left sided hemilaminectomy defects are present at L4 & L5. No foci of abnormal contrast enhancement are identfied. " I haven't had surgery except for the IDET and ESI's. Also, it says that there are no compression fractures. Disc bulges at L 3/4 and L4/5. L5 S1 no posterior disc bulge.

Can anyone tell me what a hemilaminectomy defect is? thanks
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

Hey Spotty... he't just noting that expected changes from the hemilaminectomy are noted. (Inferior lamina of L4 and superior lamina of L5 are partially removed.)

When was last bone density and what did it show? Wishing you the best.

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:24 AM

Spotty,

When do you see the doctor? Is he a nero or an otho? How do you get these reports before the doctor? I did a quick search for you through goggle on hemilaminectomy defects it seems to be referring to nerves. But I am no expert!

Did it mention any loss in high of the vertebral disc? No posterior disc bulges is good!

Have you ever had an epidural? I was told that they can sometimes shrink bulges and is an option before any major surgeries. I had 2 and they bought me some time.

Very interested in what you Doctor has to say. Please let us know.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Old 08-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Thank you for the replies:

Mark,
I have NOT had a hemilaminectomy!! I don't know where the radiologist got that idea. I have a call into the MRI facility. I was worried that some of my spine had broken off and with severe osteoporosis it's a real fear. I am due for another bone density test next month but the last one after 6 months of Forteo showed improvement from -3.1 to -2.6.

Paulette,
I dont see the doctor until the middle of next month and she is a Physical Medicine & Rehab doctor. I may call next week and ask for a phone consultation. I just asked the receptionist for the MRi report and films while I was there plus they also gave me a CD with the films. They are real cooperative. L3/4 and L4/5 it says, "the discs are mildly narrowed and of decreased signal intensity. Small posterior bulges at both levels, there is mild anterior effacement of the thecal sac and minimal encroachment upon the neural foramina bilaterally.

So unfornately, yes, there are posterior bulgese. Plus one anterior bulge - I wonder what kind of problems that could be causing? Still what is the explanation for the foot pain and numbness to the degree I have it which is worse than my back pain?I can't have anymore ESI's but they did help for years. I'll post after I talk with the doctor.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
physical therapy
Old 08-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Banned

Spotty, my guess is that your IDET came along with a discectomy?? When going in for the IDET or endoscopic or microscopic discectomy... they often need to remove part of the lamina in order to gain access to the disc, epidural space, etc...

Mark
Old 08-13-2005, 01:50 AM

nope, only heated up L3/4 and L4/5, that's it. I'll get clarification on Monday from the MRI place.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
physical therapy
Old 08-17-2005, 11:46 PM

I reread my IDET surgery report -- the heating device went into the discs at two levels. I have no other scars except for where the needle was inseted. The MRI Radiologist insists that a hemilaminectomy is what he sees. Also, that my previous MRI looked real similar to the current one although it wasn't identified. The first MRI in 04 was read by a different Radiologist than the 05 one. I have asked the doctor and the Radiologist to speak about my concern.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
physical therapy
Old 08-17-2005, 11:46 PM

I reread my IDET surgery report -- the heating device went into the discs at two levels. I have no other scars except for where the needle was inseted. The MRI Radiologist insists that a hemilaminectomy is what he sees. Also, that my previous MRI looked real similar to the current one although it wasn't identified. The first MRI in 04 was read by a different Radiologist than the 05 one. I have asked the doctor and the Radiologist to speak about my concern.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
physical therapy
Old 08-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned

Spotty, what % back pain / leg pain were you. Did you have bulges, herniations?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:41 AM

I have more back pain than leg pain, but more foot pain/numbness than back pain and leg pain put together. I have bulges at L3/4, L4/5. So far I haven't had a diagnosis/explanation of why I have such severe foot pain in comparison to the leg pain which is intermittent.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
physical therapy