ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Spinal Roundtable

Spinal Roundtable Discuss nerve block injection side effects in the General Discussion forums; I have feeling better since my foraminotomy on may 1 last year to decompress C6-C7. after surgery i started feeling ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM

Default nerve block injection side effects

I have feeling better since my foraminotomy on may 1 last year to decompress C6-C7. after surgery i started feeling atrophy on my biceps and chest on left side which is indicative of C5-C6. It has not been painful enough but the atrophy of the muscle is noticable much like my left triceps in same arm.

I just received an epidural nerve block at C6 and the doc did something and crossed some barrier and may have injected medicineon nerve and spinal cord he said. I felt numbness all over my upper body face and right arm as well. Since the epidural I have been sick to my stomach, and have a nagging horrible neck and head aches. He said when thi shappened last time was 5 years ago and usually headaches will last about a week.

I am unhappy with this as I was recommended to this pain dr by a well know dr in Dallas, so I am sure he is a great doc and may have had a bad day.

prior to thi epidural I have had 10 since 2002 so I am not unfamiliar to them. usually i declline anesthetic and just return to work same day, now I am unable to go to work and neck pain and headache are killing me. Any input will be appreciated

Thanks

2001 MRI diagnosed with C6-C7 left side herniation. Pain and numbness in left arm. EMG showed no weakness. Oct 2007 pain returned so I had a chiro give me an adjustment.
That made me worse, after adjustment sever pain and EMG showed weakness. PT and ESI made it better and helped improve some of the weakness.
Feb 2009 pain came back again MRI showed herniation and noticeable atrophy on left tricep, forearm, and trap.
5/01/2009 Laminoforaminotomy METRXII
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 PM

It sounds just like a spinal fluid leak. That happened to me when I got my discogram. HORRIBLE headache that only slightly goes away when you lay down. It sounds like you need to have a blood patch done. That took care of mine immediately. I would talk to the doctor about it and let him know the headache is not going away.

Good luck.

DDD L5-S1
ADR Surgery 3/10/2010
Texas Back Institute
Axiomed Clinical Study
Received the Prodisc
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 PM

Default Possible answer to one question

If the headaches last more than a day, ask your doctor if it could be due to a small leak of cerebrospinal fluid. This can occur with any spinal procedure. It's not a mistake, just a rare complication. However, it is usually easily treatable with something called a blood patch. Basically, a small amount of your blood is withdrawn and then injected over the area of leak to patch the leak.

The headaches can be unbearable, and there's no need to suffer from them if they are due to a leak. Ask about this possibility to get quick treatment. The other symptoms could be as your doctor suggested due to medication injection intradural instead of epidural. The headaches may be, too, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

-tc-
PT, ESI, SI jt injections, 3-level nerve root inj. x 2
Massage, heat, ice, TENS, etc
L5-S1 Charite Jan. 19th, 2009, very happy w/decision
New back pain in upper back though.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 PM

Default Concur on the CSF leak

Given the symptoms you described, I'd have to say that Ang and TC sound like they're right on the mark. I had a similar problem following my first lumbar ESI (for L4-L5 bulge) back in 1992. The told me immediately that a small amount of spinal fluid had leaked, and that it would probably resolve on its own. Unfortunately, it didn't...and for 2 miserable weeks I was pretty much stuck in bed. Anytime I stood up the horrible headaches would start, until I laid back down again. Finally reached the point where something had to be done, and they went ahead with the blood patch. Worked like a charm.....within minutes I was back up like nothing had even happened. NIGHT & DAY difference....
JUL '07: Micro-D
'08-'09: Reherniation @ index level.
'09-'13: Gradual deterioration, as I have become bi-laterally symptomatic. Have tried virtually all conservative treatment modalities: physical therapy, acupuncture, injections of every sort, massage, chiro, and a partidge in a pear tree. Still "functional", but want my life bac and realize THE decision point is coming soon.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 AM

Default nerve block injection side effects

Thanks for the inout last night my doc called and explained the same thing to me, he said that is a leak of spinal fluid and he would have his partner do a blood patch on me today. He gave me butalbital tabs and they helped make me get ouf of bed and sit at a table but this morning seems like they did not get any better. If this lasts longer than 3 days like you are saying i might go for it and avoid all that hassle. I am flying out on Friday and want to be able to walk in airports and fly without pain like that.
Thanks

2001 MRI diagnosed with C6-C7 left side herniation. Pain and numbness in left arm. EMG showed no weakness. Oct 2007 pain returned so I had a chiro give me an adjustment.
That made me worse, after adjustment sever pain and EMG showed weakness. PT and ESI made it better and helped improve some of the weakness.
Feb 2009 pain came back again MRI showed herniation and noticeable atrophy on left tricep, forearm, and trap.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:08 PM

Default nerve block injection

i went today to get a blood patch I did not want to risk running around in airports tomorrow with pain. I am feeling better my back and neck is stiff but overall improved. No pain meds today just water and caffeine, I always knew coffee was good for me and turns out it is if you have a leaky dura.
The doctor handled it perfectly and was quick to respond, i am glad about that, they made sure to take care of my pain real quick.
Thanks for all the input
RC