ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Spinal Roundtable

Spinal Roundtable Discuss STALIF with BMP in the General Discussion forums; DDD L5/S1 healthy spine for 44 YO otherwise. I am scheduled 5/22/08 Dr. John Regan for this proceedure not a ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM

DDD L5/S1 healthy spine for 44 YO otherwise. I am scheduled 5/22/08 Dr. John Regan for this proceedure not a candadate for ADR. But I can't find much information about STALIF anywhere.

Currently fighting BC/BS CA who denied surgery, refused to look at the medical records Regan's office sent. Currently in appeal with surgery date so close may have to reschedule. Ironic to read all the ADR patients being denied disk replacement but insurance will pay to fuse. Maybe we should have asked for ADR to get the fusion approved.LOL

Anyone out there with info about STALIF w/BMP??

DDD L5/S1 Bone on Bone
DR thinks due to hard fall on ice 1984 while 8 mo pregnant
have done every conservative treatment under the sun for going on five years. Don't want fusion have done everything to avoid and have been told by every dr I've seen that I have no choice, now stuck fighting insurance for surgery that I'm afraid of and don't want if there were any other option.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 AM

I believe STALIF is a cage type fusion with an anterior approach. See Attached Links:

http://www.paradigmbiodevices.com/stalift.html

If you are so healthy other than the one area of your spine, why are they claiming you are not a candidate for ADR?

I would be getting a couple of more opinions.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:11 AM

It's a Stand Alone Anterior Interbody Fusion not sure if you would call it a cage? It is all confined to the disk space and has three screws and they use BMP to fuse. My Dr. is Regan who I believe is currently doing trials for prodisk 1) he believes that restoring motion to my spine at that level would cause problems as my disk is so far gone and have bone on bone damage 2) I currently have no motion not fusing offers the same risk of trouble at the adjacent level. He believes I am perfect for STALIF.

The only info I can find is manufacturers web site and some on UK sites. Regan has been doing it for a number of years but it's only been FDA approved in US for 4-5 years. Looking for info and someone who has had this proceedure and how it worked for them. Other two drs suggested Posterior open back with cage and rods and anterior with cage and plates not interested in all that hardware in my back. Fusion sucks should be last resort I want my life back.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Poor choice of words on my part with the cage. You asked for info, I provided a site. It sounds like you know everything you need to know. Good luck.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Sorry your insurance company (same as mine) declined this. Dr. R. is my doc too. I hate to bring this up but have you seen Laurie Todd's "The Insurance Warrior"? Good luck, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 PM

I have STALIF at L5-S1 using my own bone with 2 screws and it works fine. Other then the donor bone site there were no more healing problems then with the ADR above it. I can hardly tell that there is a difference in my motion range. I will soon have them test my range of motion they did before and now after.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:25 PM

Interesting. I too have Dr. Regan and was told to expect for a fusion/ADR hybrid, that my BC of CA will also refuse the fusion. Good news here.

Feel better people. - ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 PM

I had STALIF with BMP performed on L5/S1 in March, 2007.

From my research, it appeared to be the right fusion option for my DDD condition. One of the benefits of the STALIF is that it has the same density as bone, which is supposed to better absorb shock than titanium solutions.

The ALIF procedure had no complications, the actual procedure was about an hour, and I was hospitalized for about 1.5 days.

The healing was slow; however, my greatest regret is that I procrastinated 6 months before having the procedure. In retrospect, I should have had the procedure once surgery became emminent.

Just note that recovery is slow, and the first two weeks were rough. I was on sick leave for 5 or 6 weeks.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Good luck!
Intrepid Fusion L4-L5, 7/08
Increasing pain since solid fusing, 1/09
Bilateral Transforaminal Injections 3/09
Facet Joint Injections (L3-S1) 4/09
RF Ablation (Medial Branch) 5/09
CT Scan, MRI w/ contrast (no new info) 5/09
Latest:
- I wake up with no pain
- Stand/sit for 15 mins., pinching pain begins
- Pain at center, core L4-L5
- Lying down, pulsing/throbbing pain for 2-3 hours
- Taking 6 Norcos/day