ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Arthroplasty Central

Arthroplasty Central Discuss Best U.S. Spine Surgeon in the General Discussion forums; Hi All, I need opinions on who is the best U.S. spine surgeon. Does one stand out above the others? ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Hi All,

I need opinions on who is the best U.S. spine surgeon. Does one stand out above the others? Zigler,Regan,Yue,Bitan,Janssen...did I miss any?

I am having problems with my lumbar spine and whoever I see will have to accept BCBS, as I am tapped out from my cervical adventure and still trying to recoup my money from BCBS for that.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 04-28-2007, 04:09 PM

In my mind you could add Dr Delamarter to that list.

He's my hero.
T-12 Compression Fracture 10/04
C-7 Spines Process Fracture 5/99
http://prodisc2.blogspot.com/
You are my Rock God in you I can do anything
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:18 AM

Dr Todd Lanman but he's pretty aggressive. And Delamarter is great too I went to him but switched to Dr. Regan because the pro-disc was too big for my spine.
Dr. Regan is amazing - I've been going to him since 2004 and he has been named one of the top spine doctors across the country. (he also works on the prince/princess of Saudi Arabia) so if he's good enough for royalty he has to be good enough for us!
1/2004 Fall in Las Vegas
1/2004-5/2004 more epideral blocks
6/24/2004 (22 years old) ADR surgery with Charite disc Dr. John Regan
1/20
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM

I am wondering if I could speak to anyone who has had surgery with Dr. Delamater? I am planning a second and possibly third Prodisc and will likely go with Dr. Delamater as he has had significant experience in North America with 2 and 3 level discs.
Thanks

Meg
Prodisc L3-L4 2004
Far Lateral Discectomy at L3-L4 2002 for herniated, fragmented disc with dual nerve compression
DDD dx 2003
Prodisc Implantation L3-L4 2004
Multilevel DDD
Planning for L5-S1 Prodisc soon
Past Hoops player, surfer, left wing hockey player. CUrrently
Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

The question as to what is the criteria for defining the “best” surgeon is always a tough one. In the future, perhaps consumers will “rate” surgeons en masse – whether docs like it or not!

Many surgeons in the U.S. have been doing ADR since 2001, when the FDA trials started. A few have done many more (some, hundreds) before coming to the U.S.

But the docs you mentioned are experienced and capable. I would offer a few more specific docs at Texas Back Institute, as well as where I had surgery (New England Baptist/Boston Spine Group). Email or call and I’ll give you more details.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-20-2007, 08:43 PM

I had ADR with Delemarter almost three years ago. I'd be happy to talk with you.
Lisa
34 young mom with 2 boys. 4 years of back pain and counting. Microdisectomy 12/02 got worse 2 levels herniated and deteriorated, have ADR 6/04 with Dr.Delemarter. Facet issues and chronic pain continue.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:22 PM

I also had three level surgery with Delamarter and would be happy to share my experience.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray R:
Hi All,

I need opinions on who is the best U.S. spine surgeon. Does one stand out above the others? Zigler,Regan,Yue,Bitan,Janssen...did I miss any?

I am having problems with my lumbar spine and whoever I see will have to accept BCBS, as I am tapped out from my cervical adventure and still trying to recoup my money from BCBS for that.

Thanks,
Ray

I think the term BEST is pointless. There is no best since not all of them can relieve 100% spine pain for of all their patients.

What you should be looking for is a spine surgeon that has a large amount of experience for the disc of your choice and the best post-op clinic/staff you can find. The post-op staff will make or piss off your recovery.

avoid St. Mary's - San Francisco. Excellent surgeons, crappy post-op staff. Also remember that THE BEST doctors typically only accept PPO insurance. I've also noticed Delamarter only accepts blue cross/blue shield PPO and you have to pay the fees up front and get reimbursed later. At least that's what his office told me.

Personally, I wouldn't even travel after surgery. Find the closest most experienced surgeon that accepts B/cross-B/shield and make sure that anesthesiologist is under your plan too. I really got jacked with that. The hospital accepted my insurance but 25% of the costs weren't within my network. I'm still fighting it.

Prodisc St. Mary's 12/2006 not diagnosed properly pre-op and now have DDD L4/L5, facet calcification L5-S1/L4-L5, mild scoliosis and left knee pain. DDD: C3 through C6
Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ray R:
Hi All,

Thanks,
Ray
McAfee in Baltimore has done 200+ and has a good reputation.
Threw back out again 1988, 1989, 1993. Chronic pain begins in 1993. MRI shows
Old 05-25-2007, 09:16 PM

If you're in CA, lots of people rave about Dr. Delamarter but I don't think he's in many ins plans. On the otherhand, I consulted with Dr. westerlund in Encinitas, at Core Orthopaedics, and was very impressed, he works under Dr. Linovitz and was also one of the Prodisc trial investigators and has done over a 100 or so. Don't know what his # of ADR's including multi levle is today but he's very nice, very informative and I believe takes more insurance plans if you can get coverage.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop