ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Arthroplasty Central

Arthroplasty Central Discuss lifting after cervical ADR in the General Discussion forums; Anyone have any idea what the guidelines are for lifting things after cervical ADR? How long after surgery should lifting ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 05:02 AM

Anyone have any idea what the guidelines are for lifting things after cervical ADR? How long after surgery should lifting heavy things be avoided?

And once fully recovered (e.g. 6 or 12 months post surgery) are there any restrictions on lifting with cervical ADR?

Also driving - has anyone been given guidelines on driving?

thanks,
Rob

2004 - surfing accident - transient (temporary) quadriplegia for 15 seconds while underwater - quickly recovered full func
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:08 AM

Laura wasn't given any guidelines on lifting or driving. This is an educated guess only, but I'd imagine as your ADR would be relatively high in the c-spine, that you'd not have any limits on lifting after you're recovered from the surgery. As for driving, I'd guess that you'd be physically capable of driving long before you felt healthy enough to be willing to push it. I'd plan to give enough time for all of the soft tissue healing and soreness/streching to work out and just see how comfortable you are as a passenger before committing to any drives.
Knee, Shoulder, Toe, Finger, Elbow Problems

Jim - no spine problem but lots of other fun medical challenges

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 PM

I was given the directive that medically there are no limitations after 12 weeks post-op after my cervical ADR, other than the common sense advice that it's a good idea to take things slowly and learn to listen to your body and don't provoke pain.
As far as driving, there are no limitations; at 5 weeks post-op, I was driving everywhere. Gotta wear the neck brace, though. At the Alpha-Klinik, I was taught to "look around" using my entire spine, not just my neck.
Hope this helps,
Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) with Prof. Dr. Reul (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 AM

thanks Jeff and Anna

cheers,
Rob

2004 - surfing accident - transient (temporary) quadriplegia for 15 seconds while underwater - quickly recovered full func