ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Arthroplasty Central

Arthroplasty Central Discuss Lifting limits after lumbar ADR surgery in the General Discussion forums; Hi: Does anyone know how much we are supposed to be able to safely lift 3 months after surgery? I ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 05:57 AM

Hi:

Does anyone know how much we are supposed to be able to safely lift 3 months after surgery? I have heard conflicting numbers. My physician's assistant said 30 lbs, physical therapy said probably 40 lbs but he did not seem so sure. I was never given anything in writing after surgery.

I know the first 6 months after surgery is a very critical point in the recovery process and I do not want to overdo anything at this point to screw up a so far uneventful recovery. Thanks.

lumbar lami 1998
lumbar lami revision 2004
Prodisc L4L5 February 2008
Hurt back staining deck in 1997--No back pain, all in right leg--misdiagnosed in urgent care as strained ligament in leg--reinjured 3 months later--tried physical therapy, vax d decompression without success. Lumbar lam L4/L5 in 1998--reinjured in 2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Hi Bailey,
first of all if you don't need to lift anything don't lift it.! Don't go looking for trouble down at the gymnasium. Also start to learn to lift things properly even if it just a couple of kilograms. If your job compels you to lift heavy weights, it could be a good idea to change jobs. Many of the nurses who have injured their backs have done extra exams and gone up to administrative positions where they are not lifting patients
best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 PM

Thank you Alastair for the reply. Best wishes for your continued fantastic recovery and good health. Take care.

lumbar lami 1998
lami revision 2004
Hurt back staining deck in 1997--No back pain, all in right leg--misdiagnosed in urgent care as strained ligament in leg--reinjured 3 months later--tried physical therapy, vax d decompression without success. Lumbar lam L4/L5 in 1998--reinjured in 2
Old 05-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Bailey, what is your profession? Tell us a bit more about work and hobby activities...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM

Hi Harrison:

Currently I am on long term disability due to my back and not working after working as a sales account manager in several different industries over 18 years. Prior to that I worked as a courier driver for a company similar to UPS. This is where I believe I hurt my back by consistently lifting packages of 75-100 lbs on a regular basis without using the best lifting techniques.
I used to play golf 3-4 times per week but have not played since before my second surgery in November of 2004. I really hope to play again at some point in the future! Take care.

Lumbar lami 1998
Lami revision 2004
ProDisc L4L5 February 2008
Old 05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

Hi Bailey,

At 3 months out, I would not lift more than 20 lbs (using "good" lifting form/techniques). Like Alastair said, if you can avoid lifting do so.

With that said, I am almost 5 years post-op and I lift weights in the gym 3-5 times per week. I am lifting more weight now than I was lifting in college... I've put on about 20 lbs of muscle over the last year. The key is perfect form in the gym and this carries over into my daily activities that require any lifting/bending/twisting, etc.

Justin
Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM

Justin's an animal . He puts us all to shame.

That said, this is not a competition. I am very careful what I lift and how I lift it. I have lifted some heavy things but, very carefully and, not for many, many months after ADR surgery. I am very active with walking, bicycling, mowing lawn, gardening, and other activities. Life is good now and I am pleased with my recovery.

Hang in there all.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 05-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks Justin and Terry for your thoughts.
Justin, 20 lbs sounds reasonable as long as it is lifted correctly. I'm in no hurry to try to outdue anyone but my wife is tired of carrying in the heavy grocery bags from the supermarket!
Time to repack the bags lightly and help her.

Congrats to both of you on your awesome recoveries from adr. Both of your stories have been inspirational to me!

lumbar lami 1998
lami revision 2004
Old 05-23-2008, 01:26 PM

Justin - amazing!

Dr. Regan told me that if I had a two level ADR not to weight lift more than 30 lbs. in terms of spine loading exercises.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:07 AM

My restrictions are 30 pounds, 6 months post ADR. I still have pain but I am some better than before. I think my problem now is I need to change jobs it is the bending twisiing and working 12 hours at this isn't good.