ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Arthroplasty Central

Arthroplasty Central Discuss Spine Clinic in Eastleigh, UK closing Sep 2012 in the General Discussion forums; I just received word today, from the late Mr Boeree's physician assistant, Jo Haley, that the Spine Clinic will be ...

English (US)  Español (ES)  Francais (FR)  Deutsches (DE) 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 11:22 AM

Default Spine Clinic in Eastleigh, UK closing Sep 2012

I just received word today, from the late Mr Boeree's physician assistant, Jo Haley, that the Spine Clinic will be closing at the end of this month. Chris Dare is the spinal surgeon attempting to take over Mr Boeree's practice, but apparently that hasn't worked for some reason. He will continue to follow patients needing any follow-up from previous surgeries who are already in the system, and for anyone needing this info: Karen Hammond is the nurse for Chris Dare that I am to now send my films too. My 1 year is this month. I was not given a different physical address, so I plan to still send the CD of my 1 year xrays to the Eastleigh Nuffield Hospital address with both Karen and Chris Dare's names on it. Email after this month - I'm not so sure. May be better to call and ask for Karen if you need to connect after September. Jo and Glenda are both looking for work. A very sad year....
Still lurking: L3-4 Small annular tear and mild DDD, L2-3 mild DDD. Cervical discs a bit of a mess too, but no symptoms in any of these areas.
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:35 PM

That's terrible news.
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM

Oh that's too bad, I've read so many good things about the clinic & Mr./Dr. Dare, sad to see.i I'm sure it's difficult for Dr. Boeree's colleagues.
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM

It is very dissapointing. That is effectivly the end of any long term follow up.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 PM

There was no replacing Nick!
I knew the security blanket was gone as soon as it happened.
It's very sad to feel like we are on our own now with no one left
to ask questions as we go further down the road.
At least we can take comfort in knowing that we had a great doctor perform
surgery on us and hopefully, a great disc which Nick felt should last us the
rest of our lives. Time will tell.
Thanks Joell for sharing the info.
I have to send my one year x-rays as well.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:29 AM

I emailed Jo and asked about follow up care.
I was told that Mr. Dare would be happy to review x-rays and advise me.
Was told to email any questions or x-rays to:
karenhammond@uk-medsecs.co.uk

Jo and Glenda are moving onto new pastures as Jo put it.
I wished her the best of luck and reminded her that Nick was
very particular. He was a 100% effort kinda guy. He wouldn't settle
for sub par anything. That says something about Jo being with him for years.
She was always kind, courteous, and prompt.
I wished her and Glenda the best in their future endeavor's.

Nothing was mentioned as to whether Mr. Dare would be reviewing x-rays for free or if there was a charge? I will email Jo and ask her how this will work.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Default Better be free!

I sent my xrays about 10 days ago and haven't heard back yet. I will fight it if they try to charge. I would think they would be willing to honor the agreement which included 1 year follow-up. I feel so great that I don't think it will take more than 2 minutes out of his day anyway! "Yep... looks good" is about all I'm expecting! Just spent a week on a houseboat and did it all - surf, swim, jetski, kayak.... Never felt better!
Hope you are doing well too Vicki.
Can't believe it's been 1 year already! Feel very very blessed to have been changed by the skilled hands of Mr Boeree and his staff. I think about him every time I see my scar.
Still lurking: L3-4 Small annular tear and mild DDD, L2-3 mild DDD. Cervical discs a bit of a mess too, but no symptoms in any of these areas.
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 AM

Default Spine Clinic, Dare, Boeree

As one of Nick's early US patients, I built a very strong relationship with him ... especially as it came to helping my fellow US patients connect with him and his team, as well as navigating travel for surgery to the UK.

Having communicated directly with Nick's wife, I can tell you that the decision to close down the "Spine Clinic" and Nick's web site was soley a business decision that she made. I understand that Chris will be opening a clinic at the same hospital (Nuffield in Eastleigh).

When Nick passed and I could proceed without sobbing at the mere mention of his name, I worked with very knowledgeable people in the UK market to ID alternatives for the truly one-and-only Nick. I've personally interviewed both Chris Dare and James Allibone for cervical issues and, if my C6-7 ever gives out, I would go to one of them with complete confidence in their skills at installing M6-Cs. Though I have not yet interviewed him, I would point lumbar patients to David Harrison for M6-Ls. (We'll likely have another doctor, one of the most prolific ADR surgeons in UK, to point you to very soon but I want to make sure he has lots of M6 experience first.)

If you want the contact information for any of these doctors, please contact me. Make sure the system sends me a notice of a private message as I'm not on the board every day.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM

I received an email from Mr. Dare today.

Here is what he had to say:

Dear Vicki

Please feel reassured i will continue to offer advice on international patients operated on by Nick. I will not be charging for this service as patients like youself have already paid out large sums of money and the agreement with the spine clinic was to review xrays at no additional cost. Although the spine clinic has closed, it is only the brand that has closed and im sure Mrs Boeree had her reasons for taking the course of action she has. Im absolutely certain it would not have been what Nick would have wanted. What he did want was a spinal service that could deliver spinal arthroplasty to international patients and i can reassure you that this will be maintained and Nicks legacy will be the surgical skills he engendered in me. The spine service offered by the Wessex nuffield hospital continues in my hands and goes from strength to strength. The clinic will now be called the Hampshire Spine Clinic and the International Spine Clinic and the website should go live in the next few weeks with the same facility to upload images via google docs. If you would like me to review your images then please liaise with Karen my PA.

I would be grateful if you could disseminate this information, perhaps through the ADR forum if you use this.

Kind regards

Chris

I feel better that he will look at x-rays and be reachable for questions.
I shared this info since he requested me to at the bottom of the email.
Hope this gives Boeree's patients a little relief in knowing there is still a
doctor to ask questions to and look at x-rays, etc.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Chris will be awesome I'm sure, only a matter of time really for his patients to start writing about their experiences with him. As one of Nick Boeree's patients I'm glad that the clinic continues even if the name changes slightly. Good to know Chris has got our backs (pardon the pun) Nick would have wanted that I'm sure as well as Chris to run with the torch.

Thanks for sharing Vicki, I've had no correspondence thus far and am glad to read what Chris wrote to you.

L5S1 ADR with Nick Boeree 22-2-12 using the M6

No painkillers required after surgery from day 3 onwards. Now able to run and live free again. Back to work in full duty