ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   M6 and osteophytes (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12420)

Masymas 10-18-2013 03:16 AM

M6 and osteophytes

Hello ADR community and thank you for being there! I especially want to thank the facilitators of this tremendously informative site.
I have been approved for single level acdf fusion at C5/6 due to osteophyte encroachment on right foramen. I also have osteophyte at C 6/7 but not as big.
Anyone out there with experience with cervical osteophytes and M6? Did they grow back? How bad is pain when osteophytes are removed? Is there a surgeon who is especially good with this condition?
Thanks for your response-
Leslie

Harrison 10-21-2013 09:58 PM

Leslie,

Sorry, I am confused: are you thinking of not doing fusion and getting disc replacement instead?

If you have an undiagnosed disease, and/or a poorly placed disc, spurs can grow back. That's where an improved diet, anti-inflammatories and eliminating sub-clinical infections can help.

TPatti 10-22-2013 06:41 AM

Leslie,
I share Harrison's confusion. Osteophytes will need to be removed as part of fusion or adr surgery. I think the real question is if you should have fusion or adr and most likely if adr will it be one or two levels?

Surprised 1 10-22-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masymas (Post 102502)
Hello ADR community and thank you for being there! I especially want to thank the facilitators of this tremendously informative site.
I have been approved for single level acdf fusion at C5/6 due to osteophyte encroachment on right foramen. I also have osteophyte at C 6/7 but not as big.
Anyone out there with experience with cervical osteophytes and M6? Did they grow back? How bad is pain when osteophytes are removed? Is there a surgeon who is especially good with this condition?
Thanks for your response-
Leslie

Leslie,

I had significant osteophytes that I was told were close to being an "autofusion" of C6/7. If I recall correctly they were not going to be touched because of their size if I went with a fusion here in the states. Dr. Bierstedt had no reservations about removing them when he installed the M6's. My surgery was so recent that I can't comment on regrowth however, as Dr. B went over my post surgical X-rays, he pointed out the excellent fit between the M6 plates and my vertebrae and said this along with good range of motion would likely prevent any regrowth. (Fortunately I have very strong bones - and even some extras here and there...) As for pain I can't suggest that my neck ever hurt but my shoulders sure did. I think I am 7 weeks post-op and I have no pain at all anymore. Good luck.

Masymas 10-28-2013 03:20 PM

M6 and osteophytes

Thanks for your replies. I am confused/anxious about this and still harbor fantasies that it will magically resolve! I have postponed fusion and am researching ADR. Sent images to Ritter Lang and hope to get input from him, Bierstedt and a label after I get Dropbox thing figured out. I suspect osteophytes occurred after fracture healed a long time ago but am very open to suggestions on diet. I have been working out, hiking, and walking to keep my strength up too. Still have very restricted neck motion and numbness in fingers and tingling around shoulder blades. It has been almost 4 months since 2nd radiculopathy now.

Lewis01 10-29-2013 02:02 PM

I recommend you do a search on this website regarding Ritter-Lang.

Masymas 11-04-2013 11:28 AM

Thanks for heads up on Ritter Lang. If I go with ADR, chances are it will be with someone else.