ADRSupport Community

ADRSupport Community (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/index.php)
-   International Assistance (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Time to choose...paella or schnitzel (https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12583)

ian 01-19-2014 03:47 PM

Time to choose...paella or schnitzel

Both Dr. Clavel and Dr. Bierstedt recommended ADR at L4/L5. I spoke with Dr. Clavel and liked him immediately. I haven't spoken with Dr Bierstedt yet, but his references online speak for themselves.

It seems I can't go wrong with either choice. I've been a risk taker my entire life, which is why my back is messed up in the first place. But I've never been so scared of anything as I am about back surgery. And selecting a doctor is turning out to be a brain-twisting decision.

Part of why this is such a difficult decision is that there are numerous things going on in my low back, DDD being one of them. And I'm unsure if the disc is the primary problem, or if the facet joints and stenosis are equally as responsible for my pain. But both doctors believe that replacing the disc will help. Not necessarily eliminate my pain completely, but it should make a big difference.

So at this point it's just a matter of pulling the trigger and scheduling the surgery. Damnit, this is a harder decision that I realized!

Stonewall_Boris 01-19-2014 04:11 PM

The descion making process is the most difficult thing in all of this. The next will be planning the logistics of the trip. You can't make a mistake by going with either Bierstedt or Clavel IMHO. But, yes, it is a hard, gut wrenching, stomach turning descion to make. But when you make the descion you feel relief.

mcjagger 01-19-2014 06:59 PM

Paella....I'll be happy to recommend where the best is in Barcelona :)

2Confused 01-19-2014 08:49 PM

Paella! All the food in Spain is fabulous!!

Stonewall_Boris 01-20-2014 12:47 AM

2Confused,

All food in Europe is fabulous. Europe has a strict non GMO policy. :clap:

ian 01-20-2014 03:41 PM

I spoke with Dr. Bierstedt today. He actually called me up. He dropped some serious knowledge on me and broke everything down concerning my films, my history and why he's certain my problems are discogenic related at L4/L5.

My decision just got a whole lot harder!

bwink23 01-20-2014 07:28 PM

Well Ian, you got two top surgeons to come to the same conclusion...i suppose it's a matter of picking which one you want to go with and getting it started ?

ian 01-20-2014 07:39 PM

Yep, time to get off the pot and choose. I've got an appt scheduled with a neurosurgeon at UCLA in a couple weeks to evaluate a couple other issues in my spine, so after I speak to him I'll make a decision regarding ADR.

It's funny, this feels like a life altering decision. And I've never been indecisive about anything before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwink23 (Post 103925)
Well Ian, you got two top surgeons to come to the same conclusion...i suppose it's a matter of picking which one you want to go with and getting it started ?

2Confused 01-20-2014 08:06 PM

True!! But I prefer the Spanish diet over the German! French or Italian works too! I love to visit the markets when in Europe - the produce looks and smells like it should! Yea, no GMO's!:clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris (Post 103909)
2Confused,

All food in Europe is fabulous. Europe has a strict non GMO policy. :clap:

Jen93312 01-28-2014 09:19 PM

Hi Ian,

It is a life-altering decision, part of the reason I haven't done anything yet, that and the lack of continuity in diagnosis.

I also have sacralization in the lumbar, probably caused by an extra vertebrae. Anyway, I wont get into my history, but I would very much like to hear the "knowledge" or however you put it, that Dr. B dropped on you about the discogenic pain.

Sorry so brief but I'm laying down trying to type and I don't want this to time out!

Take care,

Jen