View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome TigerPaw

Tiger,

I don’t believe that a hemi is a contraindication, though it could be for certain clinical trials that may have strict(er) selection criteria.

I wonder if your situation is anomalous, as TBI is generally known to be a higher volume operation; so the pricing situation should be more streamlined. It reminds me of what I went through in 2003, which was far worse. A short elaboration follows…

Since ADR reimbursement was nearly impossible in 2003 (before the Oct 2004 FDA approval), I wanted a cash price for the entire ADR procedure. I made a zillion calls to the folks at New England Baptist Hospital, and eventually met with the CFO to plead and beg for some pricing details. But all of this was a waste of my time – I left without a cash price!

Shortly thereafter, I negotiated a “conditional reimbursement” from BCBS Massachusetts: if lumbar ADR was approved in 2004, I would be reimbursed the $20,000 I had to pony up to the hospital before my surgery. I had lumbar ADR surgery in Boston with Dr. Banco in June 2004, who started (with other docs like Dr. Blumenthal) Charite’ lumbar ADR trials in 2000. My outcome was overwhelmingly positive and I made a quick recovery. And yes, I actually got my money back from BCBS, less the $500 co-payment.

BTW, Dr. Blumenthal performed the first ADR in the US in 2000. The first patient had his ADR exactly ten years ago -- happy anniversary Kyle!

My preference then -- and more so now -- is to have any surgery stateside and seek out the best possible care for surgery and follow-up. Also, please note the stories of others who have described their uncomfortable travels and (infrequent but sometimes horrible) outcomes without the benefit of follow-up care.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate