View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Default HAIs

CG, sorry for the very late reply. Hospital acquired infections is something I track very closely for a long list of reasons.

My next film focuses on bacterial biofilms and how they create persistent health conditions, some of which are hard to diagnose. Some patients who have surgery with device implantation may have problems months or years down the road; once again, bacterial biofilms can be the culprit.

I've devoted many hours of research to this topic since 2003, as it affects so many patients with prosthetics. I spent countless hours identifying some of the top biofilm and HAI experts. One example of this focused effort is from a recent interview here. Please see the excerpt and the video link at the bottom. This interview is uniquely appropriate for us patients with devices and it spells out many important issues with biofilms!

So, back to you: I am sorry to say that your facts on infections are low: the fatality numbers are low at least five-fold (as you imply), but many infections result AFTER discharge. As a result, they may not be diagnosed, reported or tracked! If you watch the above video, you'll understand what I mean as you learn about planktonic showers. It's really serious stuff, but it's a very important and obfuscated biology lesson for all of us!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate