View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Default Newbie Firefighter

Hello, all -

My story is not a tragedy, but still life-effecting. First L5/S1 tear at work 11/08, then 4 months recovery, back to work for 6 months, and a re-tear 11/09. This re-tear is a whole other animal.

I've had great PT, and my core is stronger than ever. Movement for me is pretty good, pain is mostly an undercurrent if I take care of myself and avoid certain movements and activities. If I try to do too much, whether it be driving, sitting upright in a chair, or spend extended time on my feet, pain increases, and is demanding and insistent. Only rest and ice take it away (I hate meds).

I've been 6 months off work, and am at the point they wish me to consider surgery or retirement. I thought I was adamant about not having surgery, because I thought I could get by and manage the pain. I am stubborn. I find myself rethinking that position after finding this forum. And after a tearful weekend mouring the probable loss of my job.

Questions I ponder: How well can I work (anywhere) if I don't have the surgery? Is it too soon - should I wait 'til its really bad and am drugged up? Am I too young, if these things only last 40 years (my family lives to 100)? Might I get back to firefighting if I do get the surgery?

Seems to me I need to have a discogram to make an informed decision. Anyone know a good place to do this in the SF bay area? If someone's gonna make me hurt deliberately, I've got to trust them.

Thanks to you all -

MsLizzy
Epidural: 2/10
PT, massage, but mostly movement modification
Still off work