View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Beds, traveling, and medical equipment

Hello this is Yona, Shay's partner.
I have been trying to figure out what Shay will need in our trip overseas.
Wondering if other than the grabber that laid_up_doc mentioned is there anything else? Toilet raised up a few inches? I told her about the bottom buddy, but she doesn't believe me that will be necessary!

I hear beds in Europe are notoriously hard. I am considering taking an extra bed cushion in our checked bags for comfort and wondering your opinions on comfort level after surgery in bed?

How much can I expect Shay to be able to be in a car the 3rd week?
She's trying to keep her fitness level as much as possible, knowing this will help in recovery. She has a fantasy that she will be able to be a tourist in week 3. Other than walking around close to home base, is this realistic?

Will she be able to do a long travel day home or should we break it up somehow?
Other than pillows, buckeye's, pain meds, what else will help with comfort during travel?

Since it will be COLD i am also considering heating pads and electric blanket which we use daily at home. Wish this could happen in summer, but not to be.

I need to consider how I will manage luggage, travel, connections etc without her help, any suggestions that worked?
I have my own limitations so need to be creative. I think it would be best to get wheelchair assistance thru airports, but that still leaves, trains, buses, with little help from Shay. Paying taxis for long stretches is not budget friendly.

We typically travel cheap and simple but clearly comfort is important on this trip so trying to figure out how to balance the cheap part with the comfort.

Thanks for your help!
Yona
2010 scheduled ADR surgery, denied, scheduled fusion, denied also.
2011 Appealed fusion all the way up. Lost.
Current MRI: moderate foramina stenosis and .collapsed disc in L5/S1. Spurs and fusion of disc also.
L4/L5 small bulge and slight stenosis.
1/18/12 I became Borg. double ADR w/ Mr. Boeree