View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 PM

Post New and need some info please

Hello, I had an injury a long time ago and herniated disk C 5-6. I am now 48 yrs old and have degeneration of C3-4 through C6-7. I have chronic neck pain, and also occipital neuralgia and chronic daily headaches.

On my MRI I have narrowing of my left C3-4 neural foramen also. I also have pain on the left side of my neck and cannot lie on my left side, and my occipital neuralgia is also worse on my left.

I had a discogram which showed the C5-6 was the cause of most of my disc pain. The doctor at Texas Back Institute recommend a Pro-disk C for C5-6. The doctors there are orthopedist.

However, I got a second opinion with a neurosurgeon and he recommended a fusion with a foramenotomy of left C3-4. He said that they just don't know how long the ADRs will last, and it would be very serious if it failed and needed to be replaced.

My questions are:

1) How long are the Prodisc Cs going to last, and what happens after they fail?

2) Some people have recommended going with a neurosurgeon instead of an orthopedist spine surgeon. Any comments?

3) An orthopedist will not do a foramenotomy, so should I find a neurosurgeon who will do both an ADR and foramentomy at the same time? Or just start with the ADR.

4) The neurosurgeon said that I was developing ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament (OPLL). Any one know what the significance of this is? The orthopedist at Texas Back Institue in Plano did not mention this.

Right now I am schedule for surger in 2 weeks.
Thanks for your help.