View Single Post
Old 02-15-2005, 01:43 AM

I just got off the phone with one of my trail friends. Seems they are short a couple of trail sweeps for the Susitna 100 race this weekend. It is one of those extreme outdoor muscle powered races. Runners, skiers, bikers race 100 miles in the back country in the snow (we call'm iditanuts)http://www.susitna100.com/

Trail sweeps work 4hrs on, 8 off for 2 days. Overall it's pretty easy going. We provide emergency support/rescue. Past years have seen some pretty interesting stuff. Usually just minor frostbite, bruzes and an occasional broken bone. Snow storms and severe cold can make it real interesting. One year we had to fly lots of people out due to a hard freeze, way below zero, after an unusual warm spell. We get housed in nice lodges (when you can get back to them) and food and gas is paid for. I spent the last couple hours putting my snogo and gear in order.

So why do I post? When I get to this point, all charged up, my wife doesn't say much. She knows it will take something big (PAIN) to keep me home (and then I'd be grumpy all weekend). I'm sure I can do the 2 days (mile 25-75, four trips or 200 miles total) on the trail as long as there are no major catastrophes. Even then I think if I can keep my pace slow & easy I'll do ok. My only hangup is I have to go to the north slope the day after I get back. In any case I got this surgery so I could get back to my kinda life. So tell me I'm nuts, to be careful, wish me luck, or if I come home broken tell me ya told me so ;-)

Scott