View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Default Every back is different

Every back is different and you can find different outcomes for all procedures.
Just to clarify, Zeeger's said that I'm not the first nor the last to have an M6 removed.
At the same time, there has also been Charite's removed, Prodisc removed, etc...
There are video's posted on Youtube where you can watch surgery of discs being removed!
I watched one where the disc broke and the doctor showed it being removed.
There is no "golden" disc.
Some people have had Charite's for 20 years and it worked fine, other's not so fine?
Same thing with fusion. Some have a fusion, it works great. Some have a fusion, and it doesn't turn out so great.
Why is that?
Is it the doctor?
Is it their experience?
Is it our body?
I've had several doctor's tell me that ANY foreign object put into your body can lead to rejection. I've been told that my bone spurs are probably caused by the fact that my body does not like the disc. Again, that is a doctor's opinion.
Wouldn't that mean that my body would then grow bone spurs because it's not going to like the fusion either? I asked that question and was told "not necessarily" LOL
So you see, there is no one right answer.

All I can say is....if you read through the surgical outcomes, most people will say "I wish I had done this sooner".

When your real God given discs are degenerating, they hurt!
It affects your life in every way.
You are willing to try something because you can't "live" with the pain.

The question is....which something should you try?
Which doctor's opinion do you listen to?
Can you afford an overseas surgery?
Will you have a doctor willing to help you when you come back to the US?
Remember, that this is the doctor's "business" and they are in it to make money.
Some care and make money but still...it's a business.
They can each sell you on why they want to do a certain procedure.
Which doctor do you listen to?
It's maddening and frustrating.
Feels like you have to become a doctor yourself to make a decision.
I did all kinds of research. Waited years before having my surgery.
At the time, EVERYONE was doing great with the M6.
Now look, just barely past the 2 year mark and mine has to be removed.
That's not the norm, but I'm also not the first.
Well, obviously if I had known this was going to happen, I would have saved $34,000 and
just stayed in the US and had a fusion. Whose to say that wouldn't have had some problems too?

My point is only you can decide what to do.
There are all kinds of different outcomes for every disc/fusion/etc.
All you know is that you're in pain, you have to do something and what should you do.

Make yourself a list of questions.
Ask the doctor's all the same questions.
I do have to say that the overseas doctor's are much more willing to be frank about their feelings. The US doctor's always have to consider "lawyers" in their life.
Zeeger's made me laugh because he said "the local doctor you're going to doesn't know s**t about bones"! Boeree was the same way. Came right out and told me why he thought certain discs were "rubbish". I guess they can talk more freely because they can! No FDA guidelines to follow. I love that about them though and it made me feel good to hear them talk to openly because the US docs didn't seem to be as frank.

All I can say is...would I get another lumbar disc?
NO

Would I get a cervical disc?
YES

My opinion is if I can keep my cervical motion, I would like to try.
If it doesn't work out, cervical revision isn't as risky as the lumbar is.
Still not an outcome you want, but it can be done.

The lumbar is not a great place for revision surgery.
I didn't read about that part before my surgery because I was so convinced that it was my cure I never really thought about the revision aspect.
Now that I've read and had MANY consults, I'm very scared about having this disc removed.
Knowing that, I'd be more willing to say L4-L5 is right in front of your two main arteries.
You don't really want a revision at this level. The L5-S1 is just a bit below the arteries which is why Zeeger's says he has done this many times. (I didn't ask how the outcomes were though..I'm scared to hear the answer).
After all these recent consults, I'm not sure I'd recommend a lumbar disc.
EVERY doctor told me that the cervical's do much better with ADR than the lumbar.
I'd be willing to give the cervical's a chance.

Sorry for the long post but I'm trying to give a good perspective since I'm living with the good, bad and ugly right now.

Do lots of homework, make a list of a zillion questions, pay for Zeeger's consult, ask MANY doctor's for their opinion then pray.
We can only control certain aspects of the decision and the outcome is up to God.
That's how I look at it.

I read a funny on Facebook that said:
I know when God closes one door, another door opens but man, those hallways are a b**ch!
LOL