View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM

Dear Katjonmadi, For starters, I recommend you get multiple opinions from spine surgeons as well as neurosurgeons. I would say get at least 3 opinions from surgeons in the U.S. and if you think you can afford $40K or so to go abroad, get 3 opinions from surgeons in Europe. You should spend several hours on these boards reviewing the experiences people have had with the various surgeons. There's a thread called "Surgical Outcomes" with this information. Out of curiosity, did you have an EMG test? That will generally help isolate which level is causing your symptoms.

Based on the findings it sounds like C6/C7 needs the most attention. Coming from someone with no medical education, it's sounds reasonable to have ADR at that level. I don't know if pro-disc is the best option. That's why it's best to get multiple opinions. Furthermore, if the other levels can be addressed in a minimally invasive way (i.e. endoscopic spine surgery), that would be your best bet in my opinion. I believe ADR and/or fusion should only be considered as a last resort. Nothing does better than your own natural disc if it can be preserved. That's why I think that if something minimally invasive could be done at the less severe levels you'll be better off.

Good luck!!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C