Thread: Hi, new here
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM

Default Hi, new here

Hi, I'm new here although I've read through some of the threads from time to time.

My pain started up in September of 2011. It began with severe lower back pain, eventually moved down my leg and by December the majority of my pain was in both feet as they felt freezing all the time and had me laying in bed all the time. I think my back would have healed itself, but I stayed active and did things like lifting weights instead of resting, I didn't realize how serious it could get.

I became pretty much bed ridden from Jan to April 2012. Epidurals helped me get back on my feet for a bit though. I had my first MRI in Jan 2012. I'm going to copy paste the main parts:

L4-5: Mild bulge and mild facet hypertrophy. Central disc extrusion is noted with slight inferior migration. There is mild canal stenosis as a result without definite root compression.

L5-S1: Mild bulge and mild facet hypertrophy. Small central protrusion. No definite root compression or neural foraminal narrowing.

IMPRESSION:

Degenerative disc disease and facet hypertrophy L4-5 and L5-S1 without stenosis.

Central extrusion with slight inferior migration L4-5, but no definite root compression.

Small central protrusion at L5-S1 without definite root compression

From this MRI and my main symptoms at the time being slight back pain and feet coldness and numbness to the point of being hard to function I saw 5 different surgeons.

First one at UC Davis - Said he would not do a micro discetomy, but would do a double fusion. He said to try to live with it for awhile and see if it gets better as his concern at my age of 32 degeneration of other areas was a concern.

Dr in Private practice - Recommended a fusion at the L5-S1 and ADR above. When insurance denied this we eventually went with a microdisectomy.

Dr. at UCLA - Said he recommended a microdiscetomy for my symptoms. He said there was no evidence at this point ADR's were superior to fusions when I asked about them and seemed like he preferred fusions strongly. As I was looking at a microdiscetomy I didn't push further.

Dr. at Kerban Joble - At this point my epidural was helping quit a bit, but he recommended a microdiscetomy only if I did need surgery. When I asked about ADR's he told me that I would probably have to have it removed and could bleed to death during that surgery. Basically disregarded it and made it sound like they don't work and are very risky.

Dr. Delamarter - Looked at my MRI's. We talked a little. He wanted to run a test to see which disk the l5-S1 or L4-L5 were causing the pain. I never had the test done and wasn't able to get his opinion as I decided to get the microdiscetomy at this point.

A very confusing experience. My feet have been getting slightly better but my back has had thoracic pain as well for the past year. This may be a separate issue. I first noticed thoracic pain after I tried the DRX 9000 for 10 sessions. My thoracic pain kicked up on my last session of this as the Chiropractor turned the machine on high and pulled on the belt as well. I have a suspicion this is where it comes from, but it could be radiating from my lower back problems. In the past month my lower back pain became bad again. I was doing okay before that, I was functional and not thinking of my back 24/7 but definitely didn't feel good about my back I'm trying to do PT to get out of it, but preparing for my options in case it becomes severe. I'm limited in what I can do, but I can get out of chronic pain by a very boring lifestyle of bed, walk, sit for a little and bed.

My concerns now are that my back has become curved in the thoracic area and my waist was shifted way over for awhile too. I also am showing more arthritis from my last MRI in July. I'm not sure surgery would even help with my issues at this point and I'm concerned a ADR wouldn't hold with the weakening of my thoracic back and more arthritis. I am going to see a couple surgeons just to begin talking with them again and seeing when surgery would be an option. I'm not there now, but a double fusion or hybrid are probably my options if I get there.

Thanks
Microdiscetomy 12/18/12 on L5-S1
The numbness in my feet has got a little better, but I'm having lower back pain for the past month