Thread: Hello Hello!
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 AM

Red face Hello Hello!

Well I figured I have been using this board for my own selfish purposes for way too long. I have been actively obsessing about all of your stories on here way too long to not introduce myself. It is sad when you have read all of the amazing stories on here and you feel like you know someone but have never introduced yourself .

First off my name is Matt, I am a police officer in the bay area. My signature kinda gives an idea of what I have been dealing with as far as back issues go.

I hurt myself 10 months ago on the job and have been slowly recovering since. I guess I wanted to put it out there for debate how most of you felt prior to surgery and what your guy's take is on when to have surgery.

I have sent my mri, ct scans, and xrays to Dr. Clavel and Dr. Delamarter. Dr. Clavel is the only one to give me the go ahead on surgery for L4-L5/L5-S1 double ADR M6-L. I am still awaiting to hear from Dr. Delamarter about the L5-S1, he needed to look at ct scans and xrays prior to giving me his thoughts.

I took about a month off of work when I got hurt followed by a month of light duty. I have received two rounds of cortisone injections, I do TRX religiously, inverter and stretch like a crazy person. I can function as of right now but there is always some kind of nagging pain in my buttocks, lingering sciatica, and hip pain I deal with everyday.

I am curious to how most of you felt when you made the decision to have surgery. I know I can function at the level I am at for awhile and if I took a job where I am not on the streets it would not doubt be easier on me but I am not quite there yet. Dr. Clavel told me whether I have it today or later, he thinks I will need back surgery in the future.

My thoughts on this are I'm young, 32, can recover faster, why not have it now even though I am not debilitated yet. Any thoughts on that???

Also I have read all the raging debates between ProDisc vs M6 vs Fusion and would like to have points of view from both sides. If I go with Dr. Delamarter it will all be paid by for worker's comp. If I go with Dr. Clavel it is all out of pocket, Lawyer is willing to fight for recovery time.

Also has anyone looked or heard about Croker Technologies Flexbac developed by BYU? Saw news on it but haven't heard anything else about it.

Again thanks to all of you that post your updates ie: Zoticos, Buckeyeback, Laid up Doc, Dingie, Vimish, JB88, Cirobi, Jss and Harrison just to name a few, you guys have given so much of yourselves here and it is much appreciated. Look forward to hearing from all of you!

Relatively pain free for 4 years,
3/2012: Herniation L4-L5, sciatica down both legs till present.
6/2012: Cortisone shot right side. Increased pain.
8/2012: Still in pain...second round of shots coming, told only a fusion possible at L5-S1 and ADR at L4-L5.
9/2012: Began talks with Dr. Clavel
10/2012: Saw Dr. Delamarter
12/2012: Approved by Dr. Clavel

Matt