View Single Post
Old 12-08-2023, 11:51 PM

I saw another surgeon yesterday who had an entirely different, and totally logical, view on the neck pain that I have. He is Dr Brett Reichwage at Baptist Hospital in Pensacola. I assumed that he saw my MRI and was going to recommend fusion, as my other two doctors did. He walked in and I started explaining that I wanted to know more about facet degeneration and it’s effect on ADR or fusion. He stopped me and asked what was my complaint. I told him axial neck pain and limited range of motion. He said he saw my MRI and there was no way I needed a fusion. He explained that the fusion procedure was created many years ago to correct structural defects that resulted in pinched nerves and loss of function or trauma that created an instability. In my case, there was no pinched nerve or instability, just neck pain. Fusion or ADR would not correct this, so why do it? It totally made sense. Every doctor said that fusion would not relieve the pain, so why was I even considering a surgical procedure that would not correct my complaint? He said that many surgeons see compressed or dehydrated discs, without associated loss of bodily function, and recommend fusion because that’s what they do, they are surgeons. He said, telling me I don’t need surgery will not make a payment on his Ferrari, but it was the truth. There is nothing wrong with my neck that fusion or ADR will correct! I should continue with conservative therapy in whatever form that helps, be it steroid injections, PT, muscle relaxers, NSAIDs, or anything that eases the pain and makes range of motion better, but fusion or ADR was not the answer. I felt a huge weight lifted from me with his words. PT is already helping with both range of motion and pain. I am having steroid injections next week that I expect will be even more helpful. I am no longer considering either ADR or fusion. I may get there one day, but it’s not today.

This forum is awesome for all the personal stories that are shared. It was a big catalyst for prompting me to research my issue to the “Nth degree”. I hope my story helps someone else one day.

Cheers!!
2023 MRI shows disc degeneration C3-6 with facet degeneration. Considering ADR.

Last edited by VinceMH; 12-09-2023 at 11:46 AM.