View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 PM

Default !

Hi,

Yes, it is a very confusing choice when dealing with your back. First, I believe microdiscectomy most likely will help but will just prolong the inevitable. Plus they will remove bone and muscle and other tissue that will no doubt cause scar tissue and other fun problems. Fusion at that level is probably the only level that I would even consider having a fusion. Now, which disc is better? Who knows. they most likely all are pretty good. Just depends on which doctor you go to. I think the various options you are getting is because that is all that particular doctor knows and does.

I have had two microdiscectomies done, one at L4-5 and the other at L3-4. L4-5 was done in 1996 and made me pain free for 11 years. Then I blew out L3-4 and had a microdiscectomy and that made it worse. Furthermore, L4-5 had deteriorated much more causing the facets at that level to also deteriorate. I also had a lot of scar tissue at that level. My only option was ADR at two levels. I went to Germany and had two Mavericks put in. My recovery was hell for at least 6 months. I am now back at work flying as captain for American Airlines. I too was on percocet and it was a bear to get off. Took about a month and it was miserable.

So, research, research, research. And then when you get totally confused, make a decision. What helped me the most was talking with people on the phone who went thru it. It was the most helpful.

Mark
Multiple facet blocks and epidurals
L5-S1 annular tear 8-08 lased with ELD
October 08 back to work