View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
Matt,

There are a couple of reasons.

Until recently it was unusual for an insurance company to pay for ADR, so you had to pay out of pocket. It costs much less out of pocket over seas than here in the US.

The other reason; overseas surgeons tend to have much more experience than their American counterparts, and overseas you can get much newer technology than here in the US.

Be aware that there are plenty of risks in going overseas; such as the one you mentioned; that is, getting home if the surgery goes bad.

Good luck, Jeff
Not to dissuade you, it's obvious you want to know all the facts, and to build of what Jeff said here are some other reasons why (at least for me):

-Better technology, the m6 is far superior to a prodisc in my opinion, especially for multi-level adrs.

-Multi-level adrs, the FDA hasn't really approved any discs for multi-level adrs - there is some recent news in this: I think one cervical just approval last week or something. On top of this insurance companies won't cover multi-level for the most part.

-Results, don't discount this one as it was a huge factor for me. Look on this board or others and see which doctors are producing consistently happy/satisfied patients. That tells you a lot.
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012