View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
. Speaking as a materials engineer who regularly works with bonded joints
Jim,

Do you have any insights into the long term behaviour of elastomers in general? eg do they eventually tear or tend just tend to continually compress? Once I reached this point of my research I had well and truly exhausted my knowledge. Then I chose the surgeon based on my impression, not on the device. The only adr I didn't want was a charite, I just don't trust unconstrained transverse motion like that.

I have no doubt that the surgeons have absolutely no clue about how these things will go long term. Their expertise lies in surgery. When I asked my surgeon how do you think a plastic will go in 10 or 20 years time, he responded that those Wallis implant thingoes were still going well 5 years later. Which wasn't much of an endorsement imo.

Fingers crossed it never becomes an issue. I was 28 when I had it put in so longetivity is a concern. Better than being disabled by pain tho, by a long long way.

Mr Lucky, I echo the others in get multiple opinions and go for the most indicated op, be that fusion or adr.

Chris.