View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 AM

1 week hospital stay and 2 weeks of outpatient therapy afterward, all medical costs included (but not flight, housing) for 2 level M6 and STALIF fusion in England with Nick Boeree is quoted at 23,168 pounds (current US dollar exchange rate= $37K). Hoping the pounds drops in value by September! (Sorry Brits!) I can stay longer in the hospital if needed, for no extra fees. Any complications are covered, unless a specialty surgeon not on staff has to be called in.
Germany (Bertagnoli) was almost twice that, but included the hotel. (I found a house to rent in England for about $1500 for a month, so not seeing the value of tacking that on to the surgery cost)
Spain (Clavel) was comparable to England, slightly more.

Keep in mind you'll likely get kicked out of the hospital much sooner in the US. If you did need to stay longer, count on mulitplying any cost estimates considerably.

Check that even if your insurance doesn't cover the ADR itself, will they cover the therapy, anesthesia, any other parts of the surgery process or hospitalization? Therapy is very expensive (I'm a therapist), as is the general care in a hospital. Make sure all of the costs are accounted for.
http://healthyback2011.blogspot.com/