View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxmom View Post
I have read many posts on here in the past but this is my first post. Background info: 38 year old female, with several cervical protrusions due to trauma.

Most of my injuries were from a car accident in 2008, I was hit on the rear/side and then pushed into a fire hydrant. I had just started working a new job at time and did not have comprehensive health insurance and could not afford to have surgery. I have not been able to work full time since then due to chronic pain. This past February I was rear ended which compounded my injuries.

Fortunately, I was able to obtain traditional BCBS TX insurance recently.

Unfortunately, at my consult today I was told I needed a multilevel surgery (I was expecting that, but thought I would only need 2 levels). I was told today the only option for me that would be covered by insurance is fusion at 3 levels. I was hopeful that I would be able to have a hybrid procedure but my surgeon said hybrids is not covered by insurance. I know that some companies will approve ADR/ADLF, so I am confused. I don't know if the difference is because I need 3 levels instead of 2 or if it's because mine is cervical.

If anyone has had any experience with this type of surgery, I would love to any info.

2nd opinions and 3rds. Maybe even a 4th. You better get them going now though, then compare notes and see who comes out on top.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.