View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Question Making the Leap - who to choose?

I have never spent so much time doing research, but I believe (?) I have accumulated enough information, asked questions, and hopefully have the right answers to make an informed decision about my surgery. ?I think? As mentioned in prior posts, I have submitted my data and inquiries to several surgeons. Dr. Bertagnoli's office responded quickly with detailed information answering all of my queries. Still awaiting information from Dr. Clavel, Dr. Bierstedt, and I have also contacted Dr. Zigler (TBI).

My pathology and course of treatment would be ADR placement at levels C4/5 and C6/7 (I already have a disectomy/fusion sandwiched in the middle).

In comparing cost between Dr. Bertagnoli (Germany) and Dr. Zigler (Texas), they were similar. Dr. B charges 28,008 euros (about 36,000 US) and Dr. Zigler quote was $34,950. Both quotes are surgical only quotes and do not include travel/hotel, however Dr. B.'s quote included a single hospital room and arrangement for my husband to stay with me (meals included) during my inpatient stay. Dr. Bertagnoli was also concerned that I have a suspicious level above (C3/4) that may also need attention and quoted 36,508 EU for a 3 level (about $47,000 US - ouch!).

In regard to insurance - we all know that the M6 is not FDA approved and insurance won't pick up a cent (or so I have already been adamantly instructed by them). Dr. Bertagnoli does not favor the M6 for my levels of ADR and notes his preference of the Pro Disc NOVA C. Pro Disc does have a link for patient support for insurance assistance Home

A tentative date for surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli wouldn't be until 9/24. I was hoping for an earlier date since I am a teacher (non tenured/non union) and will not have disability leave. I haven't received a date from Dr. Zigler yet.

While awaiting information from Dr. Clavel and Bierstedt, I don't feel that cost would be an indicator for choice. SO, BASED UPON ANYONE'S EXPERIENCE WITH THESE DOCTORS - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RENDER AN OPINION (good, bad, somewhere inbetween). My husband is leaning me toward Dr. Bertagnoli (based upon his expertise). Do the other doctor's measure up (even close) to him? My fear for the outcome keeps me going in circles (based upon my poor decision to have fusion in 06). THANK YOU TO ALL.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6