View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 02:34 AM

Jefferson,

Your post just happened to catch my eye. I was once jacked up to 75mg a day right before ADR surgery and I weigh about 130lbs - so that was quite a hefty dose to come down from.

Okay, drawing from personal experience weaning from the first 80% was pretty much a "cake walk" - but the last 20% started to get a bit rough.

I was also on clonidine (pills) this will help out with the hot/cold flashes and sweats. I never took ativan - but this is how I weaned off the last 10mg.

I took a 10 mg tablet (or you can take 2 5 mg tablets) and crushed them. Then, I mixed the 10 mg of the crushed methadone with 10 milliliters of tap water. Mixed mixed it up well in a bottle that had an eyedropper that also measured in milliliters.
Doing this made the concentration of methadone and water a 1:0 ratio ---- Meaning that one milliliter = 1 mg methadone. (when shook up well)

You can also do this with just a 5mg tablet to 5 milliliters of water. You will get the same concentration.

Okay, once that is done - I could dose throughout the day in smaller increments - say 2mg (or 2 milliliters) every 6 hours or so.

However, once I got down to 3mg a day - I decided to just go off of the Methadone totally.
When I did this, the hardest days were days 3-7. Restlessness, upper back pain, chills, general body aches & etc. No nausea or vomiting, but quite a bit of diarrhea. This is common. The symptoms eased up after day 7 a little each day. After day 14, I could notice a marked difference in the way I was feeling - getting more sleep each night & etc. However, I honestly didn't feel totally "normal" for like 2 months after stopping cold turkey.

I was also offered to stay on methadone at 5mg for the rest of my life - but I refused. I didn't feel the need to take it any longer than I needed to.

Hope this information helps you. It will be rocky at first, but does get better.

Sincerely,
Poncho
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!