View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 08:59 AM

NJGene, like you I've had little success with ADR in NYC/NJ area, but HSS has been making some news more recently about ADR and brought in a new director Dr. Todd Albert )from Rothman Institute in Philly). Ihave seen in previous years 3 surgeons at HSS, and non recommended ADR! Only one I found in this area was Dr. Bitane, who uses ProDisc (or at least he did when I saw him a couple of years ago). Did you see Dr. Jeff Goldstein yet, his web site seems interesting! I saw a couple of other NYU surgeons, but no ADR in their offering either.
Best wishes to both,
Dema & Raouf

Thank you Dema, HSS (as well as other surgeons you suggested) might be a consideration at some point. Even though this has nothing to do with ADR, that place has left a bad taste in my mouth. Back in 1998, prior to my first fusion, my PCP suggested I see Dr. O'Leary at HSS for a second opinion. This surgeon operated on one of the NY Jets who broke their back during a game. After multiple calls, I was told to mail my MRI films to him and he will determine whether it's even worth me coming in for a visit. This was well before MRI's were put on CD. I basically told them to go stick it. I knew I needed surgery. My late father (alive then) was a retired radiologist. He was very conservative. When he saw the films, he had no doubt that I needed surgery. He ended up contacting my PCP and telling him a second opinion wasn't warranted.

The bottom line, I feel the HSS has this attitude "that we're the best" and "you're lucky to even get an appt with us". I believe this is common in the NYC area, and want to stay as far away as possible for ADR purposes.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C