View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM

Smile

Thanks for all of your help.

I thankfully have insurance that will cover all of the surgery. BCBS of Illinois has been wonderful in the explanation of benefits in and out of network. I believe I can go anywhere to in the country but I am leaning to stay in North Carolina. There are two doctors I am considering Dr. Musante of Triangle ortho and Dr. Dahari Brooks of greensboro orthopedic and sports medicine.

As for Dr. Musante. He was actually the first doctor who spoke of ADR and fusion with me. He did a fellowship with doctor Scott Blumenthal at the Texas spine clinic. This is a big bonus as I understand Dr Blumenthal is a pioneer in this surgery stateside. The problem I have with him is the fact that he suggested a fusion. He said since I am round and have tons of life left and I own a construction company that I run it would be
Long term more inteligent to do the fusion. I guess this is not a bad idea in the case of adjacent disc failing at the l4l5 level we can install a artificial disc at that time. Also he didn't take the time to help me understand what he would use any of the concerns or recovery times and expectation. He kinda seemed in a hurry.

Dr.Dahari Brooks suggested that I only do an ADR because if my age and the reduced chances of adjacent disc problems. He informed me that he had done 65 ADR's lumbar and cervical and had great success with both regions. He also went into all the details if the surgery answered every question and spent over an hour with my wife and I on two separate occasions. He is also 20 minutes from my house and to be honest. I liked him better as a person, he seemed human. He joked and even through in a swear word as I being a contractor swear a bit and he acted like a friend which was a pleasant change.

As for the prodisc. I have read a lot of threads on this site and of what I read the people who have had single level ADR's done the prodisc seems to have the most success and least problems. This is just what I've read there me be tons of bad stuff too. I agree the M6 L is much more advanced but being that I am a guy that believes in most cases simple is good I kinda like the idea of less stuff to fail. That's just me. I am so thankful for all of your posts and Lillyth I hope you surgery goes absolutely perfect and you are back to pain free within the year just as I plan to be. Thanks again and God Bless!!
4/11 pain came on and has settled in for good
facet blocks
7 injections
DRX 9000 traction (no help)
Fentanyl patch and 15 mg oxycodon for breakthrough
4 MRI Bulging L5S1 and DDD
3 Dr's suggest ADR
1/13 discogram 7-8/10 pain
2/28/13 ADR scheduled xxxx canceled
3/21/13 L5S1 ADR M6 with Dr. Clavel who else?:-)