View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by annapurna View Post
I recognize your concerns about pain killers. As you're obviously active on the internet, you might want to investigate studies that show that controlled use of pain killers strictly as needed to moderate pain is unlikely to lead to addiction. I don't want to twist your arm on this as you'll have to decide what's acceptable for your life but an approach is to moderate the pain to enough degree that you feel able to think and plan. Certainly, I can't imagine your depression being resolvable by any means if you're in constant pain from your back and know that there's no potential for it improving. Temporary use of low levels of pain killers might help you feel like there's a way off the merry-go-round.

To go beyond that advice, you mention that you have a degenerated L5S1 but say the degeneration has progressed further. Do you mean that you have multiple levels involved or that L5S1 has gotten worse? Single level replacements with fusion, especially at L5S1, can work and are much easier to argue for in the US.
Thnx alot for the advice Laura.... pain killers are not for me though, I have tried percecet and threw up everytime I took one. My Dr thinks I may be allergic. "good thing". I do not like the feelin pain killers offer. I have been on an anti-inflamitory for the past five years, but stopped because of the stomach issues it caused. As for my progression, my S1-L5 has gotten worse. But my L5-L4 is also affected, I am even having problems w' pelvic instability. Hip joints are always killing me. Don't even wanna think about the other pain, in my legs, pelvis, lower back & the radiating pain through out my lower back & pelvis ( which includes my testicals) LOL! Even asked my Dr to refer me to a surgeon who would perform a casteration... but no luck there either. I think she (Dr. Grace Le) is way to focused on my depression. I am not being offered ADR surgery, or any other alternative surgery. How is this gonna change if I do not get some kind of intervention? I have chosen to use marijuana as a pain therapy alternative, but Dr Le is against that choice.... so asking her for help perscribing me medical marijuana is never gonna happen. Sorry I have been dealing w' this since 2004/05 and feel as if I am alone..... thank god for ADR support group, or I would have no one to talk w'. At least here I do not feel alone in my pain. Thnx again for responding. P.S. 'I also had my tail bone broken when I was 14 years old, after being thrown down the basement stairs'. Not sure if that is part of the problem as well?
Peace Fr. Calgary