View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyrm View Post
I am very scared of ADR because after reading here many posts I see that there are very successful cases but others are not ... The disc has to be put perfectly in order to be successful ... I also found out that it might take you 3 months to be ok if everything is as I said is "perfect" but there are many people writting that it took them 6 months 9 months 18 months and others had to get the ADR's out because their pain didn't go away and or increased due to improper placement of the ADR .. Plus ADR is a major surgery with death involved and nerve damage and blalblallblallblalal ... but yes the pain is so bad that something has to be done ... I hope to find the right solution soon ... cant live like this ..
Symara for how long have you been with the pain? Can you sit and or walk for 10 minutes or more? What have the doctors tell you? Which is your diagnosis? Have you had a Discogram done? I have no insurance but because of my symptoms doctors think I need ADR or a Fusion but this last doctor talked to me about COFLEX as an alternative to Fusion and ADR .....

Arabella.
I am not so bad to the point that I can not sit for awhile. I work 8-9 hrs a day sitting at a computer. I am doped up most of the time on pain meds, so not sure what my pain level would be without out them, but I'm not in so much pain to where I can't do it yet.

I've had pain on and off pretty much since it all started in 2004, but here lately it's been constantly since October last year, and before that it has been going since my second surgery, just not to the point of taking pain meds everyday until this past October.

As far as walking I'm ok if I've taken my pain pills, if not, the pain gets pretty bad going down my legs, and my feet kill me after sitting for a bit regardless of the medication. But only after I get up and start walking, and they have swelled like balloons, this is a recent development in the last couple days.

I just had my MRI and the same L4-5 disk is protruding and "impinging" on the nerve root. I talk to the surgeon about the results Monday, so not sure yet what he's going to say. After my last surgery though, he said Fusion or ADR would be my next option when (not if) I had my next surgery.

In my head I weigh it out this way. I would rather try ADR and have it fail then not try it and just go straight to having the fusion done. But that is if I have the insurance cover it. I guess if the insurance doesn't cover it I'll just live with the pain until either my back goes completely out or they change their policiy to cover ADR. I'm just so against the fusion right now, I want it to be my absolute last resort. That is just me though, I want to try something that may give me at least the opportunity to NEVER have surgery again, even if it ends up not working. Fusion, odds are I will have to have it on the other disks again, and right now, according to what I can read on my MRI, everything in my back is perfect, except for the L4-5.
MRI May 5th - showed "moderate sizd protruding disk in the the left paracentral location at the L4-5 level which appears to a more porminent comparison to the prior examination" and "appears to impinge upon the exiting nerve root"
May 11th Dr Apptment - Told that another Discsectemy could be done.

Looking for Surgeon for second Opinion