Thread: M6 surgeons
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:30 PM

Default M6

Hi Jen,

I'm baffled by why the M6 disc is not available in the United States as well, especially since it is manufactured in the state of California! The M6 is used practically everywhere except for the United States. I blame the FDA. I'm currently consulting with Dr. Ritter-Lang in Germany and Dr. Clavel in Barcelona. The M6 is most appealing to me for several reasons: 1) some of my pain is caused by facet joints, damaged soft tissue, and motion irritating nerves, 2) the M6 restricts some motion relieving pressure from these damaged areas, 3) I am not allergic to any of the materials used to make the M6, the few discs approved for use in the United States contain a lot of metals, specifically surgical steel, which contains nickle which I am allergic to. 4) I'm seeking multi-layer M6 ADR for C5/6 & C6/7 for it seems more promising than a double layer fusion for someone my age with DDD. 5) You can have a fusion after having ADR if the ADR is not successful, however, you cannot have ADR once fusion has been done. 6) Fusions are helpful for some and done all the time by the surgeons I mentioned above, however, it does not seem like the best option for me given my age, and the rate at which my discs are degenerating.
2011- Left c5/6 Discetomy & Foraminotomy
2012- MRI c5/6 Re-ruptured
Current- Evaluating surgical options, 1 layer ADR or double layer fusion (here in the US) or double layer ADR in Germany.