View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM

Default New to forum - What cervical disc to choose?

Hi, my name is Chuck and this is my first post. I have a herniated c5/c6 disc, with corresponding nerve compression, that started bothering me in January 2012. The pain advanced very quickly - as such, I went through all my conservative options (PT, massages, traction, anti-inflamatory med's, steroid injections, etc...) in a couple months ultimately talking with four doctors who all agreed the only real option I had was surgery (ACDF or ADR depending on who you talk with). I'm sold on ADR as my best option and as such, my research led me to the Spinal Kinetics M6-C. I've been waiting since May of this year for their US clinical trial to get started and have finally realized that it just isn't going to happen (too many hoops to jump through). So, I've backed up, done more research, and now need to decide between the Prestige and Pro-disc C. I was thinking the Pro-disc C was better but have been reading a lot about "heterotopic ossification" (auto fusing I think) and it seems HO affects most discs (ProDisc-C, Kineflex, Bryan, PCM, Mobi-C, M6) to some extent or another but doesn't seem to affect the Prestige (due to it's mounting methodology - anterior phalanges).

So getting to the point, who had ADR with either the Prestige or ProDisc-C and why did you decide one way or the other? Short-term / Long-term results?

- Herniated C5/C6 disc
- Extensive "conservative" treatment (PT, traction, spinal injections, etc...)
- Wanted M6 ADR - given up on US M6 clinical trial (never going to happen)
- Scheduled for ADR surgery mid-January 2013 (either Prestige or Pro-disc C)
- Prestige surgery 14 January 2013