View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 06:01 PM

Question New Member - TDR L5-S1 Charite, facing possible fusion

Hello,

I'm new to this forum & am very glad to have discovered such a great resource. I have a question regarding total disc replacement revision/removal surgery.

Background:

I started having back & left leg pain in Nov. 2003 & it slowly progressed enough to warrant a Dr. visit. Dr. C ordered P/T & injections, which, at that point, only aggravated the situation. It got so bad that I was literally begging for surgery. Dr. C wasn't totally sure what my condition was, but he did see a herniation @ L5-S1 on MRI.

At this point, TDR was still in trial, so I opted for a Microdiskectomy/Laminotomy at L5/S1 in June 2004. Dr. C wasn't totally convinced this would relieve the pain & mentioned I might have to do TDR if this surgery didn't work. I woke up from surgery w/ out leg pain, which was wonderful! But pain relief didn't last long - I ended up in ER 1 1/2 weeks later b/c pain & spasms were so intense. Follow-up MRI showed no sign of re-herniation, so I was back at stage 1 again. I was diagnosed w/ DDD & decided at this point to wait for TDR to be approved.

Fast forward to January 25, 2005: TDR Surgery to replace disc @ L5-S1 was performed. (Charite was implanted) Although it was a long recovery, I was optimistic that this procedure would help alleviate pain & help me get off of pain meds. I only had 8 sessions of P/T immediately after surgery due to lowsy insurance plan. Then at 3 months post-op, I found a therapist that would accept $20/session initially for 3 months, then $30/month. I faithfully went 2-3 times a week for about a year. I finally started feeling stronger & was discharged.

Fast forward to January 2008: I'm STILL having pain in low back & left leg (although leg pain isn't quite as intense as it was in 2004), and am now having to take 20 mg oxycontnin (twice daily) as well as Tramadol & Lyrica for the pain. I went to my 3-year follow-up w/ Dr. C & told him I'm still having pain. He said that I might have to get a fusion after all, and ordered MRI.

After I got MRI, I took films to a new Dr. (Dr. M) to get a 2nd opinion. He ordered a discogram & myelogram. After looking at results for tests, Dr. M said I should seriously consider having a fusion since the facets around the artificial disc were degenerating as well. I mentioned that Dr. C said I might have to get fusion & he told me if I go ahead w/ surgery through Dr. C, to be sure that the artificial disc is removed prior to fusion.

Next I go back to Dr. C w/ MRI, myelo & disco results. Dr. C said if I opt to go for fusion, that he recommends NOT removing artificial disc & fusing around it. Dr. C also doesn't see the same degeneration in facets that Dr. M saw.

Facet block was ordered & I had it done in August 2008. The block provided no relief & in fact it actually made me hurt worse for a few weeks. Leg pain increased by a couple levels & so did low back pain. Arrggghhhh!!!

My PM Dr. suggested I go see a new Dr., who has performed & still performs many new TDR's, to get a 3rd opinion about getting a fusion & whether to remove artificial disc or not.

I have an apt. w/ surgeon #3 scheduled for Oct. 10, 2008 to discuss my options.

Question

Has anyone had to get a fusion after TDR? Was the artificial disc removed first? Any advice you can give will be helpful. I am only 37 years old & I DO NOT want to have to rely on pain meds for the rest of my life just to get through the day. Plus I'd really like to get my fully functional brain back so I can think clearly again.

Thanks!
- Molly
DDD on L4-5; L5-S1
June 2004, Microdiskectomy/Laminotomy at L5/S1
April 2004, 1st visit to Orthopedic Surgeon
Jan 2004, 1st visit to chiropractor
Nov 2003, Pain started gradually (no accident or fall)
MRI, Epidural Blocks, Facet Injections, Rhizotomy, Lumbar Discogram & Myelogram