View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 AM

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the reply. I have heard the same about ADR removal, which is why I want to weigh all my options before I do anything. Both surgeons did say they'd do the lateral approach. But the question that stays in the back of my mind is if there's a chance I'd have to go through yet another surgery if I didn't have the disc removed, why not just go for the full surgery to begin with?

The dicogram & myelogram results both came back clear. The Dr. that did my first one didn't accept my new insurance, so I had to go to someone else. What's puzzling is that my 1st discogram, which was back in 2004, showed L4/L5 as a pain generator, but L5/S1 was by far the biggest pain generator. This year's discogram did not show L4/L5 as a pain generator. Myelogram came back clear, whatever that means. (I suppose it's a good thing)

No one really knows exactly what is causing the pain, which is absolutely frustrating on my part. Since I got some pain relief from ADR for about a year or so, I guess L5/S1 was a contributing pain source, but not the only one. Part of me wonders if I shouldn't just continue taking pain meds until something newer comes along. But the part of me is saying do something now before it gets even worse & more scar tissue forms, etc.

Also, if I do decide to leave the disc in, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having a fusion? Or even further degenerate the facets? I'm just really confused. I don't want to make the wrong choice again. I guess I need to wait & see what Dr. 3 says on Friday.

Thanks again for your reply!

Molly
DDD on L4-5; L5-S1
June 2004, Microdiskectomy/Laminotomy at L5/S1
April 2004, 1st visit to Orthopedic Surgeon
Jan 2004, 1st visit to chiropractor
Nov 2003, Pain started gradually (no accident or fall)
MRI, Epidural Blocks, Facet Injections, Rhizotomy, Lumbar Discogram & Myelogram