View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 05:21 PM

I had my L4/L5 disk replaced last Monday with an M6-L. I live in the U.K. and that's what Inthink is predominantly used in Europe these days now it's been around for a few years.

OK - here is some feedback on recovery after 11 days if it's any help.

In the the first week you'll be on pain killers, you'll begin to experience some swelling around the incision area, maybe some brusiting if you bruise easily. Your abdomen will be sore and tight - you won't be able to pull yourself up. There will be some other post operative trauma where your discs were removed but the source of pain will be a bit fuzzy based on the fact you are still on pain killers and the pain will radiate. Some people mention the SI joints for example but you might feel it's your facets. You need to understand that the space between your vertebrae just got stretched too - my left thigh was completely numb to one side when I can round and sensation is gradually returning. Believe it or not, I seem to have gained around 10mm in height which I'm sure will settle down in time.

I've been off the pain killers since Monday but I do take something at night or I won't get to sleep very easily. I was discharged from hospital after 2 nights and was able to walk a few miles towards the end of the week. By the evening my back is very tired. It's small steps to recovery I'm afraid but you do need to keep things moving but not in any excess.

My abdomen is a little better now and I can just about do a double leg raise but with my knees bent - there are still internal dissolving stitches in there holding things together so need to take things easy. Being off the pain killers in the day provides me with the feedback I need. I don't think I'm really ready for double leg raises right now.

If I go back to work on Monday I can't see myself sitting for a full day - we'll see how things go next week but I need to show my face in the office.