ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave234 View Post
Taking plaquenil but it is giving me excruciating migraines, so I'm stopping it.

Gabapentim i refuse to take because of the permanent damage I've heard it can do.

I've taken massive amounts of pain medication and I'm tired of needing it. Plus it doesn't stop the pain anyway.
Isn't Plaquenil an anti-malaria drug??
So you never tried steroids?
Are you in the US? Have you consulted w/ any surgeons yet?
And the last MRI is 11 months old? You need a new one.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:40 PM

Got my results from the MRI I had a couple days ago:

There is straightening and mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis. The vertebral body heights are maintained. The marrow signal is unremarkable. Both vertebral arteries demonstrate normal flow-related signal loss.

The cervicomedullary junction is normal. No tonsillar ectopiabus present. The cervical cord is normal in caliber and signal intensity. Individual disc levels are as follows:

C5-C6: Disc dessication with mild disc space narrowing and ventral disc osteophyte formation. There is minimal annular bulging which indents the ventral thecal sac without significant central stenosis. The neural foramina are widely patent and the facets are unremarkable.

C6-C7: Disc dessication with disc space narrowing. Posterior Disc osteophytic ridging is assymeyrically more notable on the left, indenting the ventral thecal sac without significant central stenosis. There is mild right and moderate left foraminal narrowing due to posterolateral disc osteophytic ridging and uncovertebral spurring with brief impingement of the exiting left C7 nerve root.

Conclusion:
1. Straightening and mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis which is nonspecific and may be positional or due to muscular spasm.
2. Stable cervical spondylosis with intrinsic discogenic degenerative changes most notable at C5-C6 and C6-C7. Foraminal narrowing is most notable at C6-C7 on the left with brief impingement of the exiting left C7 nerve root. No significant change in comparison to the 4/17/16 exam.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:40 PM

Pretty sweet, eh?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Dave,

Hey can you explain what this term is? It's new to me: ectopiabus.

Also, pls see the "add a signature" link:

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11053

Thank you.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-14-2017, 01:06 AM

That should be ectopia. Sorry about that. Auto-correct.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:22 AM

Dear Dave. Sorry for your pain. I have DDD and spine pain since my early 20,s (more then 20 years ago). At that time only fusion was available. My rule of thumb was wait 1-2 years before surgery trying all therapy possible (muscle strengthening etc). In my case they did not work. Pain pills didn't work either. Last 2 years started with cervical pain and decided for a surgery with Dr Clavel (I like him, but choosing Dr is a personal preference). Still 8 days after surgery but I am feeling good. My advise: with current ADR technology and amount of surgeries increasing a lot everywhere (after Adr approval of many devices) you shoul find a good Dr with a lot of experience with adr and talk to him. Most of the time ADR work well on the cervical area (lumbar they also work but for sure can be more challenging). So search for a Dr (I usually talk to at least 2 before a surgery) write down your questions and good luck. I think in this website you have a lot of information regarding patients outcomes. So use it.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Thanks, ANDREH! Dr Clavel is the surgeon I'd like to go to. I'm worried, though, because I'm waiting on a response after sending all my recent info in. I really hope he takes me as a patient.

Did he tell you you could lift heavy weights after having the cervical ADR?
Old 03-14-2017, 09:05 AM

Dave,the best way to talk to him is to call Yolanda, at least for me it worked well. Regarding weights I will give my short answer: avoid it as much as you can for the first couple of months. I will avoid heavy weights for life, but that just my opinion!! But that is my approach after more then 20 years with DDD. And I love exercising.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 PM

I just heard back from Dr Clavel. He recommends 2-level cervical ADR with the M6. It will cost about $33,000. All out of pocket.

Serious question, what would you do? Would you go with Dr Clavel? I juuuuust barely have the money. But I am desperate to be able to lift weights again and live pain free. Is Clavel better than those in the US, like at the Texas Back Institute, for example?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 PM

Dave, my 2 cents...any surgery is a risk, and even if successful, you may have a 'new normal'. If you want to stop further breakdown of your cervical spine and get out of pain, then surgery may be warranted. If you just want to be able to lift again, your expectations may be misplaced. TBI has great docs, Clavel is a great doc and stellar human being. Both good surgeons, but you also need to choose your preferred device for your situation. Doc pick comes first, device second, money last. Today is 9 months to the day of surgery, June 29th, for me. Everyone turned me down for ADR including TBI, Clavel, well....may God bless him and his team..and I say it mostly everyday
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona