ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Arthroplasty Central

Arthroplasty Central Discussion, news and insights that focus specifically on artificial disc replacement and arthroplasty are here.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:00 AM

Hello glad to be at this new site.My question is has anyone had a combination of ADR and Dynesys.
Dr Bertagnoli after reviewing my films has come to this colclusion. This combination could change after I see him in person and go thru pre op tests but I would like to communicate with anyone who has had this combination of technologys.

Thanks Chuck D
Old 12-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Chuck, welcome to the board. I am sorry I can not provide answers for you. Just a thought - do you also want to solicit comments or ideas about folks who have had (or researched) Dynesys?

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-05-2004, 02:24 PM

Hi - I did NOT have both done initially - but it was discussed for my case. I can tell you that IF needed to do both - at once - they can be done in the same operation. Of course you will have both a posterior & an anterior incision to recover from & heal. It was decided in my case sort of was like the chickn & the egg syndrome which comes 1st - if doing only one to see which one I needed the most help from 1st & to see IF that was enuf & all was holding or not - if NOT - then to go back in & do the other device - then came which one to do 1st- ? - thsi was debated & I got differing views from other spine doc's too - ultimately I went with what I felt my body needed - due to my loss of disc height beyond 50 % & the fact that this disc was just plain wore out - I felt I needed ADR 1st - if my disc was not as far gone I would have done the Dynesys - both are excellent products for the right aplications & I can not say for you which si best- in my case Dr. Bertagnoli finally agreed with em to try ADR 1st & see if it held in place if not I will need another surgery for the Dyensys to be added- my hope is I wont need to do that but I also know it is a possiblity still - I knew that prior to doing my surgery & if I need further surgery I can not say I did nto have my eyes wide open as I was told - there is a chance the ADR may hold my spondylo & there is a chance it could subside - what works for one with ADR only may not for another. at the 6 month mark I should be close to being out of the woods if all is still looking good. I am at the 4 month mark now. Also Stenum's opinion was given too - they also wrestled with whether to do both at once or wait & see.
I felt neither were motivated to do anything other than what was best for me.
Bottom line is ask Dr.B. your ?'s & one he gives you your answers to them - I would trust his opinion - he doesn't want to do anymore surgery than he has too - I was very happy with Dr. B. for me - I can not say enuf good things about him but then it is great when you see someone dedicated with no ego when he certianally could have one. I also know some others have been fortunate enuf to have had such a doctor for themselves too but Dr. B. was just meant to be for me. I felt I could put myself in his hands.
All the best to you -
Jill
Dr.B. Straubing 7/6/04 L4L5
Old 12-05-2004, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the quick reply,I haven't read one negative word about DR B and I feel very good about putting myself in his hands. I feel I have one of the top doctors on the planet.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Banned

Yes, Dr. B is one of the top docs on the planet. But, you must understand that all spine surgeons have failures. Some less-skilled surgeons have fewer failures because they'll only cherry pick excellent candidates and won't help those who are less than excellent candidates. In many cases, they are doing the patient a failure by booting them. In other cases, top, top surgeons have what seems like many failures running around, because they are willing to take on extra demanding cases which have a higher risk of failure.

Evaluating results is not a matter of looking at a handful of patients and counting successes. There are failures that didn't have to happen... the surgeon goofed up. There are failures where the surgeon skillfully applied the most appropriate procedure and pain generators remain because they were masked by other problems.

Mark