ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > Arthroplasty Central

Arthroplasty Central Discussion, news and insights that focus specifically on artificial disc replacement and arthroplasty are here.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 PM

Default Charite failure XLIF retreival 2 day operation

Failed 11 year old Charite L4/5 failed fusion L5S1 -2 SURGEONS OPINIONS OMG ITS A HUGE OP it will be done over two days.Day 1-- they put me in a side U position enter fron the left thru my psoas muscle and retreive my Charite artificial disc L4/5 that has migrated into the verterbrae a Bone scan has also shown a fractured, it this is extremely risky due to the position of the ADR to the Aorta and the iliac vessels, spinal cord. A vascular surgeon needs to be in attendance. Remove ADR and do a XLIF fusion from the side . Day 2---back in surgery and do posterior PLIF fusion same level L4/5 . Remove previous hardware fusion at L5S1 and re fuse L5S1 and then do both SIJ fusions. Screw fixation. We have requested Dr Pimenta to operated with the surgeon here, he is the founder of this approach and has done over 200 retreivals and has also done numerous SIJ clinical trials on I Fuse , Zyga etc SIJ fusions. Im only praying he will accept and come for the surgery.
Im in no position to travel the pain is horrific Im bedridden only able to sit or walk a few mnutes.
This has shaken me up pretty badly. But doing it all at once is recommended to be the best solution. No epidural can be used , putting me in a induced comma is still a question,I am intolerant to strong narcotics. I dont know how Im going to get thru this.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:01 AM

Condolences on your terrible situation. I ditto your hope that Dr Pimenta will be available for the surgery. By all accounts he is as good as it gets; and having done 200 of the very risky procedure which you require would be beneficial.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Are you having it done here in Australia, Anna? Who is doing the op (if you dont mind saying)?

Good luck. I hope you get some quality of life back once you get through this. You certainly deserve it.