ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:15 PM

I'm nearly done with last year's case of liquid glucosamine and need to re-order. Anyone have any good recommendations on the good-bad-ugly of the liquid glucosamine brands out on the market today? Thanks.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 03-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Banned

If you are buying that 'motor oil' that JimM2 gave me, I'll go in on a case with you... I'd take 2,3,4 bottles? I'm currently taking 1500mg tablets 2x and much preferred that tasty sludge.

Mark
Old 03-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Administrator

How do you know if this 10w-40 stuff really works for you? Isn't the effect or efficacy highly conditional?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 PM

This is Annapurna's husband. Glucosamine didn't really have any effect on me as far as I could tell. My wife swills the stuff down like its going out of style, so it's hard to say how bad she'd be without it. Our local doc, a DO, actually chose not to prescribe NSAIDs for us for knee problems because he said that the glucosamine was doing all that the NSAID could have done.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 03-05-2005, 12:34 AM

I can definitely tell that liquid glucosamine reduces pain. I take it religiously. I have friends with hip and knee problems who feel the same way. In my case the hard pills never worked at all.

The brands I've seen have various concentrations of glucosamine HCl, glucosamine Sulfate, Chondrotin, MSM, shark cartlidge, Yucca powder... and other ingredients. W10-40 has
1250 mg GC
25 mg shark carlidge (chondrotin source)
and several other vitamins and minerals.

It really works for me even though it has no MSM and only a little chondrotin. I've seen other formulations with 2000/500/50 mgs of glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM. I have no idea what the optimum ingredients and proportions are.

Jim
Old 03-05-2005, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Interesting stuff! Luckily, I do not need any, but my elderly dad (hip pain) may benefit from it. What brand(s) do y'all recommend?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

I've gotten a few PM's about this. I'll answer here instead of via PM.

I have no reliable info. I have tried GC supplements several times over the years, with no noticable benefit. I don't believe that there would/should/could be noticable benefit. I believe that the other factors involved in how we feel contribute far more than we could ever experience from a GC supplement.

Having said that, I seemed to feel significantly better after I started using the Syn-Flex that JimM2 gave me. I believe that the Syn-Flex is NOT responsible for this... other factors are much more significant. Having said that, I'm ready to pitch the GC pills that I bought at Costco and get some more 10W-40. Tastes great/less filling.

My willingness to use this is based on discussion with many doctors who will not say that they know it helps, but concede that it won't hurt.

The brand of liquid GC that Jim and Laura use is here: http://www.synflexonline.com/

Mark

PS... I laughed at Chuck for taking ecchanasia... I tend not to believe in things that aren't scientifically proven. He got the last laugh though.... In a discussion with Dr. Bertagnoli, it seems that the great doc uses it. I was certain that I was getting sick... Chuck gave me some and I never did get sick.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:20 PM

My parents both take the capsule form, one has knee problems and the other back and they both feel it helps ease things, eases the stiffness etc.....
Old 03-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

I just purchased syn-flex on ebay, approx $21/bottle. No shipping if you buy 3. Pay 4.50 shipping for 1 or 2 bottles. Seller has 6,000 feedback, 100% positive.

Mark
Old 03-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

I found a better site for Syn-Flex... same folks with the excellent ebay ratings... just more efficient distribution method.

http://www.syn-flex-usa.com/

http://flexicose-usa.com/

Hopefully, someone who is into this will give us the scoop on Syn-Flex vs. Flexicose.

Mark