ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Question Making the Leap - who to choose?

I have never spent so much time doing research, but I believe (?) I have accumulated enough information, asked questions, and hopefully have the right answers to make an informed decision about my surgery. ?I think? As mentioned in prior posts, I have submitted my data and inquiries to several surgeons. Dr. Bertagnoli's office responded quickly with detailed information answering all of my queries. Still awaiting information from Dr. Clavel, Dr. Bierstedt, and I have also contacted Dr. Zigler (TBI).

My pathology and course of treatment would be ADR placement at levels C4/5 and C6/7 (I already have a disectomy/fusion sandwiched in the middle).

In comparing cost between Dr. Bertagnoli (Germany) and Dr. Zigler (Texas), they were similar. Dr. B charges 28,008 euros (about 36,000 US) and Dr. Zigler quote was $34,950. Both quotes are surgical only quotes and do not include travel/hotel, however Dr. B.'s quote included a single hospital room and arrangement for my husband to stay with me (meals included) during my inpatient stay. Dr. Bertagnoli was also concerned that I have a suspicious level above (C3/4) that may also need attention and quoted 36,508 EU for a 3 level (about $47,000 US - ouch!).

In regard to insurance - we all know that the M6 is not FDA approved and insurance won't pick up a cent (or so I have already been adamantly instructed by them). Dr. Bertagnoli does not favor the M6 for my levels of ADR and notes his preference of the Pro Disc NOVA C. Pro Disc does have a link for patient support for insurance assistance Home

A tentative date for surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli wouldn't be until 9/24. I was hoping for an earlier date since I am a teacher (non tenured/non union) and will not have disability leave. I haven't received a date from Dr. Zigler yet.

While awaiting information from Dr. Clavel and Bierstedt, I don't feel that cost would be an indicator for choice. SO, BASED UPON ANYONE'S EXPERIENCE WITH THESE DOCTORS - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RENDER AN OPINION (good, bad, somewhere inbetween). My husband is leaning me toward Dr. Bertagnoli (based upon his expertise). Do the other doctor's measure up (even close) to him? My fear for the outcome keeps me going in circles (based upon my poor decision to have fusion in 06). THANK YOU TO ALL.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Hi Laura;

Here is some more homework for you and more for you to consider. Google "Gerry McNamara". He is an assistant basketball coach for Syracuse University. They do Artificial Disk Replacements at their hospital and he still choose to go to Germany and Dr. B to have his surgery (same levels as you if I remember).
I had an friend ask him a few questions and the Doctors at Syracuse could not do a 3 level and suggested Dr. B in Germany or the fusion in the States. These Doctors have all the info and encouraged him to go to Dr. B.
Please research him and see if that helps with your decision.

Good Luck in research.

Cheers

Mark
Pain/numbness/tingling since 2011
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Thank you Marlin. I appreciate the link. I just need some affirmation that I'm making the right decision. I've only read good things about him, but unfortunately I have skeptical members of my extended family who fear medical intervention outside of the US; apparently they have not experienced "fusion." I will make the contact. Thank you.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 PM

I posted the link - very inspiring! I have a very good feeling.
Thanks again, Marlin.

Former Syracuse basketball star Gerry McNamara has spine surgery in Germany | syracuse.com
Old 07-15-2013, 01:15 PM

You are very welcome Laura.

The important information I take from this is that here we have a professional where money is not an issue and with talking to a team of Neurosurgeons and Orthopedic surgeons choose Dr. B. and the Prodisc.

Food for thought.

Wishing you all good luck in making the best decision for yourselves.

Mark
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Hi,

I went through the same decision making progress as yourself. I ended up going to Dr. Bierstedt. Aside from him having done many adrs I liked what I read about the hospital in Hattegen. They were still working on their program when i went through my surgery but the post op care at medicos was great. Spent about 10 days there with daily PT, massage, nurses changing the bandages and doctors checking on me.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:24 PM

I have to agree Stonewall_Boris. I think that if I needed to any lumbar work and thought that the M6 was my best bet for a better life I think Dr Bierstadt would have to be the first choice. I have yet to find anyone who hasn't talked highly of the rehab program there which is SO important with the lumbar.
Have you done any follow ups with him or the staff?
Mark
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM

Hi,

I was at medicos for about 10 days after I left the hospital in Hattegen. It was no vacation for me but my spouse quite enjoyed it. She found the workout room in the Marriot hotel and she found the 3rd floor lounge at Medicos. (really nice)
Dr. Bierstedt requires follow up X-rays at 3, 6 and 12 months. I send them over the Internet and am still in email contact with them.

"the stone"
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM

Sorry,

Forgot to mention this about implants ...

Osseointegration

Osseointegration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want I can post a few pics from my "adventure"

"the stone"
Old 07-16-2013, 11:34 PM

Hi Laura, per my signature, I have issues at similar level, except mine are at C3-C6, and today I had an appointment with a local surgeon who recommended fusion at C4-C5 & C5-C6. But I really do not want to do fusion. I had sent my images (MRI, CT...) to Drs. Beratgnoli & Clavel and will share what they will recommend. I also sent my CD's to Dr. Peter Hamlyn in UK, I found his name in one of the previous posts in this group, and he does use the M6. None have responded back yet, and I will share their views as soon as they do.
Thanks & prayers that you will be guided to the best option and speedy recovery
Dema
, little effect on pain
Considering surgery (typical questions, which type & which surgeon!)