ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 PM

Default February 25 can't get here soon enough!

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I've booked a date for L4/L5 ADR. Didn't quite seem real until I booked the flight. It came down to Dr. Clavel and Dr. Bierstedt. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either surgeon. I spoke with both of them and believe I'd be in good hands regardless which doctor I selected. But I ended up choosing Dr. Bierstedt only because I felt their aftercare and rehab arrangements were a little better. I so wanted some paella, too.

For those considering ADR I highly recommend scheduling appointments to speak with Doctors Clavel and Bierstedt. You will find them vey receptive and engaging.

I can't wait to celebrate a successful surgery with a cold German lager!
- Torn ligaments in SI joint
- PRP injections at SI joint
- Tarlov cysts on sacrum
- Lumbar stenosis
- L4/L5 ADR Feb 25, 2014 with Dr. Bierstedt.
http://iansroadback.blogspot.com
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Oh yay! Congrats! I bet you feel like a big weight has lifted.
C5 ruptured
C6 Bulge
7/2011 epidural that caused a "fragment to present itself"
10/2011 C5-C6 Foraminotomy & removal of fragment
Positive for left-sided Hoffman's reflex
Effacement of anterior spinal artery
Old 01-28-2014, 11:02 PM

Cool

Best of luck Ian. Will keep you in my thoughts for a very good outcome. Take it slow and steady. Try green juicing for edema and inflammation when you get back. it really helped me alot both times. 2nd time i gained 20lbs of fluid lumbar and the juicing kicked it right out of me not to mention all the drugs.

Keep us posted on your outcome and recovery.

Wishing you peace of mind and a well body. Manage your expectations as well and take your time. 20 years to get here and time to get well too.......

Frank
Cervical herniation symptoms 2011
C5-7 M6C by Dr Clavel on June 5 2013
L3-5 M6L by Dr. Clavel on 12.18.13
Living life instead of living the condition
Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 PM

So Frank, how are you doing a month out from surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklySir View Post
Best of luck Ian. Will keep you in my thoughts for a very good outcome. Take it slow and steady. Try green juicing for edema and inflammation when you get back. it really helped me alot both times. 2nd time i gained 20lbs of fluid lumbar and the juicing kicked it right out of me not to mention all the drugs.

Keep us posted on your outcome and recovery.

Wishing you peace of mind and a well body. Manage your expectations as well and take your time. 20 years to get here and time to get well too.......

Frank
- Tarlov cysts on sacrum
- Lumbar stenosis
Old 01-28-2014, 11:28 PM

Ian,

This week started out great. Been nerve pain free from day one. My only issues really have been with the stomach being that I'm a big guy with a lot of muscle Clavel had to get through. He warned me. To make it worse I was just peaking at the gym when i finally blew out the Lumbar and had enough so it helps and hurts getting all that cut through.

Anyway, it is kinda weird you will find as in one day you will feel like crap then the next like nothing ever was done. Today was one of those great normal days.

I feel very good and very optimistic but cautious to remember that this is not magic and we are and have lost part of our natural body. There is at lest for me a sense of loss but I'm happy that I wont miss a lot of time with my kids in agony. i expect ups and downs but less downs now. It won't be the same but much better than losing months every year in pain.

I wish you peace of mind and a great outcome.
Cervical herniation symptoms 2011
C5-7 M6C by Dr Clavel on June 5 2013
L3-5 M6L by Dr. Clavel on 12.18.13
Living life instead of living the condition
Old 01-28-2014, 11:57 PM

Ian,

Congrats on the decision. That's one hard thing to get through. I somewhat understand your relief, but for me it my relief was when the plane took off, that was my point of no return.

Like yourself, I don't think you can not go wrong with Dr. Bierstedt or Dr. Clavel.

Did you get a copy of Ken's tips for surgery in Germany? A must read before you go. It lists a lot of things that previous patients have commented on. As well, some good suggestions on places to see in Germany if your well enough. Unfortunately we didn't get to see those, I was well enough to go to Paris with my wife for a few days!

The post op facility, Medicos and Courtyard Marriott are located at the Veltins Arena https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins_Arena Veltins, I learned after a week there that Veltins was a popular local beer. Then, later I learned, it was a very good popular local beer!

So, at the end of your stay, with doctors permission, hoist a tall one! That's something I did, and I venture others on this sight that went to Dr. Biersted did as well.

One thing you might consider is uploading a journal to YouTube or facebook, I'd love to see yourself, Dr. B, Malte, Hattigen hospital and Medicos people again!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 AM

Well, I haven't been able to train for 7 months and my stomach ain't what it used to be. So Dr. Bierstedt should be able to slice through it like buttah. It's interesting you mention the feeling of loss. While it's fun to think about having bionic parts in my body, it's a little strange to think that I'm losing a part of my body.

Thanks for the support.

Quote:
Ian,

This week started out great. Been nerve pain free from day one. My only issues really have been with the stomach being that I'm a big guy with a lot of muscle Clavel had to get through. He warned me. To make it worse I was just peaking at the gym when i finally blew out the Lumbar and had enough so it helps and hurts getting all that cut through.

Anyway, it is kinda weird you will find as in one day you will feel like crap then the next like nothing ever was done. Today was one of those great normal days.

I feel very good and very optimistic but cautious to remember that this is not magic and we are and have lost part of our natural body. There is at lest for me a sense of loss but I'm happy that I wont miss a lot of time with my kids in agony. i expect ups and downs but less downs now. It won't be the same but much better than losing months every year in pain.

I wish you peace of mind and a great outcome.
- Tarlov cysts on sacrum
- Lumbar stenosis
Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 AM

I haven't seen Ken's tips on surgery. I'll do a search for them. I'm scheduled to return right after me stay in rehab ends, but if I'm physically feeling great I'm going to extend my stay and do some traveling.

I'm definitely going to chronicle my stay. I'll post up reports here with my (hopefully) astounding recovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris View Post
Ian,

Congrats on the decision. That's one hard thing to get through. I somewhat understand your relief, but for me it my relief was when the plane took off, that was my point of no return.

Like yourself, I don't think you can not go wrong with Dr. Bierstedt or Dr. Clavel.

Did you get a copy of Ken's tips for surgery in Germany? A must read before you go. It lists a lot of things that previous patients have commented on. As well, some good suggestions on places to see in Germany if your well enough. Unfortunately we didn't get to see those, I was well enough to go to Paris with my wife for a few days!

The post op facility, Medicos and Courtyard Marriott are located at the Veltins Arena https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veltins_Arena Veltins, I learned after a week there that Veltins was a popular local beer. Then, later I learned, it was a very good popular local beer!

So, at the end of your stay, with doctors permission, hoist a tall one! That's something I did, and I venture others on this sight that went to Dr. Biersted did as well.

One thing you might consider is uploading a journal to YouTube or facebook, I'd love to see yourself, Dr. B, Malte, Hattigen hospital and Medicos people again!
- Tarlov cysts on sacrum
- Lumbar stenosis
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Ian,
I feel very good and very optimistic but cautious to remember that this is not magic and we are and have lost part of our natural body.
I remember a children's book years ago about 'pooing' into the toilet. From a psychological perspective, the child 'grieved' for the loss like losing part of their body.

Anyway, tangents aside, I think once the disc material extrudes that it itself becomes unnatural and, as a foreign object, hard as coral, its as welcome as removing a sharp rock from the inside of one's shoe.

I would like to keep it though, once taken out, put both of my ex-discs into glass on the wall.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 PM

Ian, i just have a question.
According to your signature you have DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1.
Is there a reason why Dr. B is only replacing 1 level.
If i misunderstood, my apologies in advance.
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy