ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:50 PM

Anyone else hear about this? Doesn't look like my husband should worry because of the timeline, but not sure until we get in touch with Doctor's office tomorrow a.m.

Authorities urge doctors to warn bone, tissue recipients
By: (01/06/2006)
TRENTON, N.J. - New Jersey authorities, investigating whether some patients were infected by transplants of tissue and bone taken from potentially diseased cadavers, are urging hospitals and doctors to alert patients who may be endangered.

--- Article Information ---
This article was emailed from phillyBurbs.com.
Article's URL: http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...06-594176.html
Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 PM

And this just in . . .

AP New Jersey
Another 25 N.C. patients notified of stolen tissue transplants
January 7, 2006, 5:27 PM EST

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Another 25 patients at North Carolina hospitals have been notified that they may have received transplants of human tissue that was stolen from funeral homes in New York, bringing the statewide total to more than 75 people who may have been effected.

Officials at Concord's NorthEast Medical Center notified 22 people who had surgery between September 2003 and this October that they may have received the tissue. Three patients from Rowan Regional Medical Center in Salisbury also were to be notified.

Other hospitals across the state said Thursday that a total of more than 50 people who were treated at their facilities may have had stolen tissue implanted.

None of the patients appears to have been harmed, according to officials at Carolinas Medical Center and Presbyterian Hospital in Charlotte, Catawba Valley Medical Center in Hickory, WakeMed and Duke Health Raleigh in Raleigh, Duke University Medical Center in Durham, and Southeast Regional Medical Center in Lumberton.

Biomedical Tissue Services of Fort Lee, N.J. is under investigation for allegedly removing bone and tissue from corpses without permission from families and selling them for reconstructive surgery. No charges have been filed.

The company provides tissue for manufacturers that process it in batches and package it for surgical use.

Spokesmen for NorthEast and Rowan Regional had said earlier this week that they had not received suspect tissue. But Lee Brower of NorthEast and Phil Whitesell of Rowan Regional told The Charlotte Observer on Friday that they were wrong.

The tissue in question came from companies that bought body parts from Biomedical Tissue Services, which is being investigated by the district attorney's office in Brooklyn, N.Y., and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Investigators are trying to determine whether skin, bones, tendons and other body parts were illegally removed from corpses and sold to five processing plants around the country that test, sterilize and shape the material before it is used in surgery.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Words fail me...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Administrator

This terrible news made me think of the movie from 1978, Coma. Not a great movie, but it was ahead of it's time. For better or for worse, visionaries, writers and ethicists continue to remind us of the many moral issues in our future.

Thanks for sharing this grim news...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Banned

I hate to say this but when reading this piece it didn't surprise me given the fact that people have been known to be given drugs, had body parts removed and left for dead.. there is money in smuggling body parts, tissue, whatever. It's a horrible business but it looks like somebody's doing it.. I hope there's a way to put an end to this type of awful "business"... and deal with the persons that would be part of it..
Old 01-09-2006, 07:23 PM

Now I'm reminded of the film "Island" released just a few months ago ... anyone seen it?

-j
(who apologizes for the major plot spoiler and for being off-topic)
Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 PM

You really should stay on topic.

I liked "The Island" a lot.

The human medical parts trade has been the object of intellectual discourse, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Warrant
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:25 PM

I haven't seen "Coma" or "The Island" and don't plan to either, so no worries. I suppose Mastercard couldn't use this line for an advertisement - "Assorted human body parts - priceless." Thanks for the gruesome and eerie news information.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 AM

It's all a bit grisly -- -- --
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 01-10-2006, 06:24 PM

Robin,

Please do tell us that your suspicions are confirmed, and your hubby isn't at all affected by the bad cadaver tissue?

I've been thinking about you on & off all day. What did the doc say this morning?

Hopefully,
-j