ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Default Hello!

Hello ADRSupport,

My name is Josh. I'm 40 now and have had back issues since I herniated my L3-4 and L4-5 23 years ago (17 y/o at the time) lifting weights. In the last 18 months my symptoms have gotten worse, much worse in the last few weeks. I have some back pain from stenosis but mostly leg pain. I'm investigating ADR after being told that I need a discectomy at L4/5 by one surgeon and a laminectomy and discectomy at L3/4 and L4/5 by two other surgeons.

I have not had any back surgery yet other than 4 injections in the last 14 months.

I am apprehensive to get the laminectomy as I understand that they can cause instability. Hence, I am investigating ADR.

I have sent off request to Dr. Clavel and Dr. Bierstadt to get their recommendations for my condition but have not yet received their responses.

I have the following questions for the group and would be delighted to gain from the experience of this board:

1) Do any board members have experience with discectomy and or laminectomy?

2) Do discectomies last and are they effective?

3) Do Laminectomies cause instability?

4) Does having a laminectomy preclude one from getting ADR in the future?

I look forward to meeting the members of this group and appreciate any information/experience that you would like to offer.
Thanks,
Josh
-Currently have severe leg/low back pain
-Diagnosed with spinal stenosis in addition to herniations
-Scheduled for a 3 level laminectomy on Oct. 20th 2016
-Looking for Best 2 Level ADR option/Surgeon
Old 10-04-2016, 08:02 PM

OK, so I got a reply from Dr. Bierstedt. He is proposing a 2 level ADR at L3-4 and L4-5 with the M6L disc.

I would be very interested to hear from other patients who had surgery with Dr. Bierstadt to get your experiences.

Also, if you can recommend other surgeons beside Dr. Bierstedt and Dr. Clavel, I'd love to get other recommendations.

Much Appreciated,

Josh
Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 PM

OK, so I got a reply from Dr. Bierstedt. He is proposing a 2 level ADR at L3-4 and L4-5 with the M6L disc.

I interested to hear from other patients who had surgery with Dr. Bierstadt to get your experiences.

Also, if you can recommend other surgeons beside Dr. Bierstedt and Dr. Clavel, I'd love to get other recommendations.

Much Appreciated,

Joshwould be very
Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 PM

Don't overlook a heavyweight and long time pioneer in this area; Dr. Bertagnoli......He has an agent in the USA that will steer you through the diagnosis/costing process...
Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 PM

Default Dr. Biersted

Hi,

I have had surgery with Dr. Bierstedt in Germany. In general I would consider surgery as the very last resort. In no specific order, and I am not a doctor, try massage therapy, acupuncture, Prolotherapy, trigger point injections, rhizotomy, and get in to a pain clinic. Again, I'm not a doctor. PM me if you want more info on the experience with my surgery.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Question

And of course, check with the higher volume clinics / doctors in the US. What state are you in, Josh?
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 10-06-2016, 07:31 PM

Default Ritter-Lang type of approach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
And of course, check with the higher volume clinics / doctors in the US. What state are you in, Josh?
Harrison, are you promoting the Ritter-Lang approach with "check with the higher volume clinics / doctors in the US"?

http://www.artificialdiscreplacement...FSwq0wodO1QFNA

I spoke with his Canadian rep when considering my options and was told he does about 10 surgeries a day, "when he does surgery". From that I gathered he doesn't do surgeries every day.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Thanks Harrison. You mentioned Texas Back the other day. Was the other ADR doc you were trying to think of in the northeast US Jeffrey A. Goldstein?

Josh
Old 10-10-2016, 12:40 AM

Default Go with the best

I always buy the best Pistons n bearings for my motorcycles ! Why would I do less with my spine? IMHO Dr Bertagnoli is the best! Period he invented the artificial disc he invented the tooling he also developed the anterior approach fit n if I'm not mistaken he invented the the disc that is inserted from the side. Imo he is the Godfather of ADR surgery just read his entire website n cross reference it. You will find all truths n no lies. And very few typos. The Dr is a stickler of perfection. I only opinion he Is the Murdoch racing engineering of the human spine as Murdoch is to the motorcycle transmission! He fixes other ADR Drs mistakes n I don't see others fixing any of his mistakes! Others advertise using his name!!! He barely advertised using only his own name n prodisc. If it were not for the false statements anyone can publish on the net he wouldn't even be accessible. And as far as I can see he is the BEST! I'm sure there are others performing good surgerys also, but compare his website to others!! His website is like the encyclopedia of ADR surgery.

I see people making statements like he gets paid to use the prodisc! That's a factual lie! It's against the law in Germany to do that first of all! Second of all he invented the prodisc n sold the patent for it hence he has already made his money n has no need to use it other than he believes in it. What most people don't know or say is that he stocks n uses many other discs but not the M6. Since he takes the worst of cases he sees more of the worst cases than any other Drs. Due to privacy issues I won't name names. But sheiks kings princes n billionaires all go to him. He has no need to work on the middle class working man other than he wants to give back!!

The man is truly amazing n I am truly critical of everyone, my family is always saying I'm an arshole n condem n hate everyone! I'm not saying any of this cause of any reasons other than I believe it to be true. I would recommend dr Bertagnoli to my children! I did my homework n investigated all the false negitive complaints perpetrated against him and I can only find two people who legitimately have complaints n both say they would use him again! I was lucky enough to have had multiple conversations to answer my critical questions! If anyone needs to know more just call me! From what I can see I'm the only one here that posts his phone number! That's because I'm 100 percent for real! I don't lie or cheat or mess with people's life's as far as cause someone's wife grief I'm sorry but ide rather warn potential ruined lives than cause one women a bites grief. Also I never said everyone single person would be effected and I didn't say .2 percent either. Most of you only read the headlines and have very little math theory and make up your own math n equations and then give advice! It's a joke! Instead of ripping me apart for your potential piece of mind, use the info provided to help people. I have no financial interest or gain in this. I'm sorry I cause HARRISON. So much extra work I'm betting the complainers don't even donate n come here for free! If I'm wrong I apologize. Also one more thing! No operation is 100 percent n if anyone says so it's a lie!

Peace n pain free lives to all

Gabe
6/6/15 last of many MRI L4-5 medium paracentral bulge with juice leaking and mid to left bulge on L5-S1
No invasive procedures except steroid shots that did nothing n hurt wicked bad
9/24/2016 Adr surgery Bertagnoli>1 year doing great
Old 10-10-2016, 08:15 AM

GK, I think you are going to get more negative responses to your statements. Your initial statement, that Dr B invented the artificial disc, is unfortunately false. Please see the following publication. How are you doing overall? What meds are you taking?

Historical Review of Cervical Arthroplasty
Hoang Le, MD; Issada Thongtrangan, MD; Daniel H. Kim, MD
Disclosures
Neurosurg Focus. 2004;17(3)
C5-C6:Moderate disc osteophytes. Mild-moderate canal stenosis. Moderate-severe bilateral foraminal stenosis.
C6-C-7:Mild-moderate disc osteophytes. Mild canal stenosis. Moderate left and moderate-severe right foraminal stenosis.
June 29,2016-3 level M6 (C4-C7) Dr. Clavel Barcelona