ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:44 PM

Unhappy New with 2 or 3 level Cervical herniations ETC.

Hello all.

Glad to find this place but wish I wasn't here...

Perfectly healthy, very active, never sick, never had a surgery... 48yo who felt like 30, even 20 on a good day.

I went for a short run one day and ....nothing happened except I came home with intense pain and a numb arm.

Arm isn't numb anymore at least.

The verdict is C5/6 & C6/7 need surgery and some difference of opinion whether C4/5 is a goner too.

My expensive useless insurance won't cover a thing, Germany is cheaper....and currently my situation is low pain as long as I do nothing.

I went from 48 to 90 overnight and I am heartbroken.

Runner16

2016 - C5/6, C6/7; Disc extrusions, osteophytes, radiculopathy. Left side only.

Clinging to the fantasy this will resolve spontaneously on its own.

2017 - Gave up on the dream. 2-level C5/6 & C6/7 Signus Rotaio ADR 15Nov17
Old 09-02-2016, 12:20 PM

Default Cervical ADR's & return to running etc.

Hello all,

I am new and looking at 2 or 3 level cervical ADR's.

I am very active and my goal would be to return to my activites. Running, backpacking, climbing, cycling....

Is this unrealistic? Has anyone been similarly successful?

I have had 5 surgical consults, 4 say "yes" and 1 says "my odometer has run out" and I will never return to any of it (he also advocated partial or full fusion). One doc was a runner and seemed trustworthy but NONE of them have been able to "name" a patient who has gone back to similar sports.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Best, Runner

Old 09-03-2016, 03:13 AM

Default Went for it and survived :-)

After my C5/6 + 6/7 M6 ADR I resumed exercising within a few weeks--treadmill, elliptical (AKA cross trainer) and some fairly strenuous hiking. After about three months I went back to both yoga and Zumba--and I might have done that sooner but we were travelling during that time. That was three years ago and I'm still doing all those things without any problem, except that I'm now 64 and my knees are wearing out!

No doubt people have varied experience but for me the new discs were a miracle cure--the surgeon popped them in and I was good to go after a very brief recovery period.

Best wishes to you.

April 2013--Dubai neurosurgeon recommends surgery with fusion on C6-7 BUT does not know I have osteoporosis

May 2013--successful C 5/6 and C 6/7 M-6 ADR with Mr. Dare, UK

June 2013--pain free and ROM returning

November 2013--giving thanks for the miraculous surgery I had 6 months ago
Old 09-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Hi Runner, I merged this with the one you started in Arthroplasty Central.

Yes, most patients return to sports after ADR. The smart thing to do is to bump it down a notch -- and start slowly many months after surgery.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 09-03-2016, 12:18 PM

Hi, Stone here,

Cervical ADR patients vs. Lumbar ADR patients seem to recover faster and to better states from what Ive read here. When you go through the posts and you look at recovery be certain you check out whether it was cervical or lumbar. As always there's exceptions, recoveries, revisions. Age, health, duration of disc impediment also seem to play a part in recovery IMO.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Default What do you think of surgeons comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirisuchina View Post
--the surgeon popped them in and I was good to go
I look forward to the day I can refer to terrifying surgery like this! Its a good thing though, thanks for that.

Truth is at least for now I can manage discomfort wise but I just can't imagine this as my "new normal".

I have been told the following by spine surgeons, what do you think of this advice?

- Cervical surgery is best done sooner than later. Best within 6 months, for sure within 2 yrs and if wait 5 yrs may not be eligible for ADR's. Best results are for patients with more arm pain than neck pain. Neck pain usually doesnt improve, have surgery before nerve damage. Surgery for me is inevitable.

- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc.

I am puzzled by the contrast in opinions.

Best, Runner

Old 09-03-2016, 03:37 PM

"- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc."

Canadian doctor? Because that what I was told, repeatedly!
Old 09-03-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall_Boris View Post
"- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc."

Canadian doctor? Because that what I was told, repeatedly!
Stonie....that was what the orthopod just told me last week re: my right lateral knee with no cartilage...."it's only 70% worn out...forget about the PRPs whatever, stem cells, prolozone whatever, uni-compartmental knee operation either as it's only gonna have to completely ripped out to a full knee change....just put up with the pain and get some opioids and wait 'till it's 100% !@#%ed up and then I'll give you a new knee". I replied that I heard that one couldn't/shouldn't mtn bike with a 'full knee' replacement. He said, "that's correct but your at the age (60 last week) that you shouldn't be doing all the sh!t anymore anyway....time to RESIGN yourself to the fact you SHOULDN'T be doing that, Doug". So I went to a researched NP doctor last week for a Prolozone injection and just got back after a weekend of mtn biking in Golden and 1/2 hour ago from Cobble Hill......and no pain and Annapurna from this site took some great time to relay her and her husband's experience with Prolozone......Do you research folks and TRUST yourself......your the greatest and really, the only advocate for your health and Phuk the Cdn Medical System.....
Old 09-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Hey, Stone here again, don't mean to hijack your thread Runner16,

Fathub,

Great news to hear from you. (Great that the news was great that is)

In the last few months my GP suddenly retired. He was still using paper files and refused to computerize. Which, as a computer person for over 35 years I appreciated that hackers couldn't get my files. (yes, I know the term air gapped for medical systems, came up with that solution years ago for critical XP systems)
Anyway, in my search for a new GP I've temporarily ended up with a 80 yo GP to renew meds and stuff. Seems that the new medical system in Canada is to have a walk in clinic doctor that will process you in 10 minutes. Their ability to assess "alternative" solutions is very limited (but it is free, until you have to pay out of pocket for alternative care!!!)
Old 09-04-2016, 01:41 AM

Default 8.5 years post injury and getting ADR finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner16 View Post
I look forward to the day I can refer to terrifying surgery like this! Its a good thing though, thanks for that.

Truth is at least for now I can manage discomfort wise but I just can't imagine this as my "new normal".

I have been told the following by spine surgeons, what do you think of this advice?

- Cervical surgery is best done sooner than later. Best within 6 months, for sure within 2 yrs and if wait 5 yrs may not be eligible for ADR's. Best results are for patients with more arm pain than neck pain. Neck pain usually doesnt improve, have surgery before nerve damage. Surgery for me is inevitable.

- Degeneration eventually stabilizes so if you can live with modified activites, the pain will get better. Surgery is risky and should be avoided at all costs because their is an inherent wild card with surgery and you may be worse off after surgery. Your odometer has "run out" and you should adjust your life style to avoid any physical stressors. No running, climbing, cycling etc.

I am puzzled by the contrast in opinions.

Best, Runner

Hi Runner,
Although I've not had my ADR surgery yet, I'm looking forward to returning to horseback riding (jumping) and competitive trap shooting after mine. My Doctor gave me a wait time of 6 months as an estimate, due to the nature of shooting and risk of injury from a fall from a horse, but he feels I'll be able to go back to both. As for the injury stabilizing, my discs were herniated when I was run over my a car in 2008. 8 1/2 years later, I'm finally getting definitive treatment. my discs have gotten progressively worse, as documented by MRI, but I still have some disc height left. This, and my determination to remain active, make me a good candidate for surgery. Don't get bogged down in artificial time lines- your symptoms and MRI will tell the story.

A thought on insurance appeals, in case you're headed that direction. Try the National Guidelines Clearinghouse website for treatment guidelines for the cervical spine. Many of these now include ADR as an option for patients who have failed conservative treatment.

Best of Luck!
GC
Herniated Discs C5-6, C6-7
Thoracic outlet syndrome, cervical radiculopathy,
cervical myelopathy
Had 2 level ADR with Mobi-C at UC Davis Medical Center on 9/14/16.