ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:43 AM

I just got off the phone with one of my trail friends. Seems they are short a couple of trail sweeps for the Susitna 100 race this weekend. It is one of those extreme outdoor muscle powered races. Runners, skiers, bikers race 100 miles in the back country in the snow (we call'm iditanuts)http://www.susitna100.com/

Trail sweeps work 4hrs on, 8 off for 2 days. Overall it's pretty easy going. We provide emergency support/rescue. Past years have seen some pretty interesting stuff. Usually just minor frostbite, bruzes and an occasional broken bone. Snow storms and severe cold can make it real interesting. One year we had to fly lots of people out due to a hard freeze, way below zero, after an unusual warm spell. We get housed in nice lodges (when you can get back to them) and food and gas is paid for. I spent the last couple hours putting my snogo and gear in order.

So why do I post? When I get to this point, all charged up, my wife doesn't say much. She knows it will take something big (PAIN) to keep me home (and then I'd be grumpy all weekend). I'm sure I can do the 2 days (mile 25-75, four trips or 200 miles total) on the trail as long as there are no major catastrophes. Even then I think if I can keep my pace slow & easy I'll do ok. My only hangup is I have to go to the north slope the day after I get back. In any case I got this surgery so I could get back to my kinda life. So tell me I'm nuts, to be careful, wish me luck, or if I come home broken tell me ya told me so ;-)

Scott
Old 02-15-2005, 08:02 AM

I would probably go for it,(I am like you) but be careful in the process, I have no exp w/ ADR....others here who have, would give the best advice.

Laura
(Andro1111)
Old 02-15-2005, 08:40 AM

my only concern would be your recent flare-up coming back again from over doing it. I have been a go getter since ADR, as you know, elk hunting in the Colorado mountains at 10,000 ft just 12 weeks after surgery.

You know your body better than anyone. If you are 100% sure in your mind that this won't bother you then I woudl say go for it. If your having doubts, which is what I am wondering since you posted, then I would take it on the chin and do it next year.

Good luck,

Bill

Old 02-15-2005, 09:02 AM

Scott,

Are you one of the athletes competing or emergency service personell??? I'm assuming one of the ER people. Well, only you will know what you can and can't do. With that being said - I don't want to be "Debbie Downer" here - but keep in mind that people do not come with "handles" and the weight of lifting patients is not evenly distributed...Hard lesson I learned as an ER nurse. The course you have described appears challenging enough - then having to provide patient care out in the "elements" and seeing that you have had to fly some out in the past = a lot of lifting if the athletes run into big problems.

If you feel that you are 110% at this point and doing stuff like this makes you feel "alive" again. Then, I say go for it - but keep body mechanics in mind at all times!!! If you don't feel 110%, perhaps attending and working in a different capacity (less lifting & etc) at the event will satisfy you until next year.....
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:13 AM

I would agree with Laura and would wish you the best.I got my ADR's so that I to could get back to an active lifestyle. My family, Friends and forum tell me to take it slow and thus far I have. The last thing I want is a major set back as I'm sure you are feeling the same.Again good luck with your decision! Livestrong, Chris
Old 02-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Banned

Ouch...sounds like you will return saying this tho who knows...whatever you think Scott tho I guess if it were me (and it ain't) I would tend to air on the cautious side for a bit longer...
Still gets to me whenever friends are planning something really awesome that I think I might be able to do if I could just get an ESI done at the right time and then blahblahblahh....
Hey, you're way ahead of me tho having been ADRed already...Best of health and luck if you do it!!
Old 02-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Scott, you are nuts.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-15-2005, 11:34 PM

Hi all, thanks for all the great feedback! Recovery is an interesting internal challange. I often wonder what will being 100% look like. I don't expect to leap tall buildings or go faster than speeding bullets, I do hope to carry a backpack, climb mountains, work all day swinging a hammer.

All day today I was keenly aware of every little twinge, pain or stiffness. Looking for that sign that says go or no go. It would be great if I could just go down to the mail box and get lifes instructions... Today I am alittle more rational, tho still pretty excited about the possibility.

Bill, good observation, I posted because of some apprehension. I think there may always be some of that, something to do with knowing I've got that steel and plastic in my back. The recent flare-up weighs heavily. Normal folk might consider apprehension as gaining wisdom. I don't think I qualify for normal or wise ;-) I expect to experience some discomfort. So I ask myself how much is too much? If it puts me down that would be too much.

Poncho I am a volunteer NOT a racer! (those folks are really nuts - I've thot a bit on the kinds of things that can go wrong, with me and with them. I darn sure don't want to be the one that gets evac'd! I got a fair bit of experience with winter emergency care during my ski patrol days. The support folks ride in pairs and it will be important that the other(s) know my condition and respect the pace I choose to go.

Mariaa, ouch is ok, &(*&&*& $#%^%& !!! is not :-)

Laura, thanks !!!!

Chris, 14 days, you better be taking it slow! at least for another couple of weeks ;-)

Richard, you always make me laugh, right to the point!

Time to go sort my gear and check over my machine.

Scott
Old 02-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

Only you know the key points.

We don't know what a trial sweep does. We don't know how you feel. We don't know how you'll tolerate the activity. We don't know how bad you want to do this. OK... so maybe we know the last one.

If you've got a safety valve, you'll probably go for it. If you'll feel that you must continue your duties even if you think you are making a mistake, discretion may be the better part of valor here.

Mark
Old 02-16-2005, 04:54 AM

I go along with what Mark says here, I think that discretion is the better part of valour and don't put yourself into another setback just because you want to rush back into your normal lifestyle.

Remember you are looking for a long-term gradual permanent recovery not one that goes up and down. We've seen plenty of those -- -- -- and they are still doing ups and downs as well.

Be Grumpy at home - -you are no use to anyone as a "Rescuer" if you are not 100%.

For my two pennyworth I would give it a miss
Cheers,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/