ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:35 PM

I've been told in the past that I was probably experiencing pain at L5/S1, but Dr. Bierstedt said that is highly unlikely since this area is fused naturally. Even when the disc is thin, as it is in my case, since there is no movement then there should be no pain.

Because there's no movement at L5 my vertebrae above have overcompensated over the years, which has caused the disc at L4/L5 to get overworked (and is dried out). This I already knew, but I just assumed that pain was also being generated at L5/S1. A surgeon in Los Angeles said I needed to get fused at L5/S1. Dr. B basically laughed at that since I'm already fused. Even if the disc completely collapsed it wouldn't matter. He and Dr. Clavel both agreed to just leave it alone.

A sacralization basically means that your sacrum really begins at L5 and your lumbar spine begins at L4. Something like 10% of the population have some form of sacralization, but most people never even know it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen93312 View Post
Hi Ian,

It is a life-altering decision, part of the reason I haven't done anything yet, that and the lack of continuity in diagnosis.

I also have sacralization in the lumbar, probably caused by an extra vertebrae. Anyway, I wont get into my history, but I would very much like to hear the "knowledge" or however you put it, that Dr. B dropped on you about the discogenic pain.

Sorry so brief but I'm laying down trying to type and I don't want this to time out!

Take care,

Jen
- Torn ligaments in SI joint
- PRP injections at SI joint
- Tarlov cysts on sacrum
- Lumbar stenosis
- L4/L5 ADR Feb 25, 2014 with Dr. Bierstedt.
http://iansroadback.blogspot.com