ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:15 AM

You've had quite a journey, Romakis! If that had been me on the return flight I would have passed out there might have been an unexpected flight detour LOL Good for you that you were able to get through that.

Sounds like you still struggle with some leg pain. I hope that this is going to resolve itself in time. Any changes or improvements?
Dec 2013 - MRI showed moderate DDD @ L5/S1 - modic type 1 endplate changes - remaining disks well preserved
Jun 2014 - became patient at Caleo clinic
Jan 2015 - first consult with surgeon
May 3, 2016 - L5/S1 - M6 - ADR in Canada (Calgary, Alberta)
Old 12-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Talking L5-S1 Jonesie

Jonesie13 That's awesome!!! With an ADR and only one level to do and deal with after surgery as well as with a known ortho, I would say your chances of recovery to 90% / 100% are realistic!! I would assume they are going to use an anterior approach, will they be using a posterior approach as well with only one level? Take it easy during recovery , I have read a lot of accounts of people overdoing it too soon and seems things seem to go south from there sometimes with no explanation as to why. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:29 AM

Hi Beaverc,

I have mixed feelings about surgery but mostly excited. As for taking it easy, i am at greatest risk for trying to sit at my desk and do work and my boss and HR have already told me "no work for 4 - 6 weeks" and then gradual return as my doctor sees fit. Good to have work on board!

He will be using a posterior approach but will find out more at our next appointment prior to surgery. It looks like would be able to get either an Active L or M6 L but I think I will leave the decision up to the surgeon. Even though i have read all I can get my hands on, I am just not in a position to make the call. Have to have the trust in the guy doing the cutting

Merry Christmas to you too!!!
Dec 2013 - MRI showed moderate DDD @ L5/S1 - modic type 1 endplate changes - remaining disks well preserved
Old 12-14-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesie13 View Post
Sounds like you still struggle with some leg pain. I hope that this is going to resolve itself in time. Any changes or improvements?
Leg pain is probably due to damaged nerve before this surgery and is probably permanent.

First 3 months were OK, last 3 were downhill, a little upward trend in the last couple of weeks.

Recovery is harder than I have ever imagined.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:46 AM

I hope your upward trend continues! Would be a nice Christmas present
Old 12-22-2015, 01:13 AM

Default Are you unable to manage your pain or do you have incontinence?

I just read a German study which suggests that the majority of back surgeries are redundant. Mainly because it is extremely difficult to positively determine what specifically is causing the back pain and surgery quite often does not relieve the symptoms. The study goes on to state that surgery should only be done if pain becomes intolerable and/or there is bowel/bladder involvement.

This s exactly the same thing I heard from my orthopaedic surgeon last year (who was up on the latest studies and medical developments) after I had an Achilles rupture. His words "I would not authorize you to have spinal surgery for the sole reason of relieving pain as we still do not know exactly what causes the pain and more often than not the surgery either fails to relieve pain or causes different pain."

Makes me question my decision for an ADR.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:02 PM

Hi jonesie,

I was unable to manage pain and have a life... My life became a constant effort to juggle activity or avoid altogether. Although I'm still doing that juggle, I have more hope post surgery... I can finally stand without being in tons of pain. So nice not to have the numb tiNgling. Sitting still not good.

As for incontinence, I never had that. I do think constipation was a huge issue though that was related to the disc/nerve. That hasn't been confirmed by surgeon though. Post surg I struggled lots with urinary retention. It has just gotten back to normal.

I drove myself crazy reading studies...but after trying every possible rehab option, I got too tired. Hence I took the leap for surgery. Was an agonizing decision for me. Good luck with your decision
Severe issues 2013. degenerative disc disease 2013, disc protrusion, mild stenosis. Epidural steroid injections, chiro, massage, accupuncture, too many meds to list, Naturopath, physio, occupational therapy, kinesiologist, counselling...
M6 Artificial disc replacement @l5-s1 Nov 2015, in Canada
June 2016 - still struggling...Physio, accupuncture, massage, counselling...